Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crane fly

Posted by azlady z9 AZ (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 19:15

We've just moved into a new house in Tucson and the area around the home is full of Crane Flies (looks like an overgrown mosquito with daddy longlegs). Are these just a seasonal thing and leave in few weeks? Is there any way to prevent them from nearing the house w/o killing them? I know they are a good food source for birds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crane fly

We live in Chandler on a waterway and last year the crane flies were unbelievable. We could hardly go out on our patio. I noticed they are coming back this year although they aren't so bad yet. There is nothing you can do to get rid of them...just hope the winter is cold enough to kill them off.

o

Our house is full of them too...I try to catch as many as I can and put them outside.
Yes, they're seasonal and will soon be gone, thank goodness.
I'm tired of them flying into my face...lol!!!

o

Adult crane flies do not have mouth parts. They live long enough to mate and lay eggs. They emerge in Jan/Feb from larva that have emerged from eggs laid in moist ground. Places like natural compost along waterways, woodlands and man made compost piles. Control these areas and you control this short lived nuisance. The normal number of Crane Flies at one time is a drop in the bucket to the number of Fish Flies that hatch each May along Lake St. Claire just N. of Detroit, Mi. In some communities they had to use a front-end loaders to clear up the died flies. Feel better now??

o

Yeh, we have a few too. Back in California, we had a similar flying insect, but we called it a "mosquito hawk." Is this the same thing?

o

That is one common name for crane flies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here