Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruitless olive tree question

Posted by wft1612 AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 19:39

I'm considering adding fruitless olive tree in my new backyard landscape (Chandler). I really like the look of the trees, and have read many positive comments.

One question I do have... I've seen some other mature trees around town (Phoenix and suburbs) with LOTS of "offshoots" (suckers?) growing from large limbs and the base of the trunk. It appears these "offshoots" would continuously need to be removed to maintain the shape/size of the tree, and it is not at all attractive. I'm not certain if these olives are the fruitless variety or some other fruit-bearing type as I always notice this on larger/older trees.

Do the fruitless olive trees have this same problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruitless olive tree question

I have a 25 year-old olive tree in my backyard and it isn't hard at all to keep up with the suckers. I finally figured out that people like that look of the suckers grown and sheared into a shrub at the base of the tree. It takes at least two months before I have enough suckers to even bother going out there and cutting them off. I think it takes me about two minutes every two months. The fruitless olive shouldn't be any different. I know mine isn't fruitless :) I love that olive tree! If it didn't produce a ton of fruit it would be perfect!!

o

When olive trees are really butchered back and it exposes the base of the trunk to sunlight it will start suckering. It's a natural reaction-branches/leaves grow and shade the previously protected trunk. If you let it get out of control it can be very difficult. The easiest way is to never butcher the tree back that far. When suckers appear-pull them off, DON'T trim them off. If you trim them off they will grow back-if you rip them off it will tear off at the trunk and won't grow back. Once the tree develops a rough/callused trunk you will have very few suckers. In all, Olives are great trees. I have 5 on my property in Arcadia. Back in the late 1800's they were planted there to border the citrus groves to protect the young trees from wind. You still see rows of the very old, gnarled trees throughout Phoenix.

o

Do fruitless olive trees have thorns of any kind?

o

To:Vicki_grow...I planted a 36" boxed Majestic Beauty fruitless olive in late 2006. No thorns. And a very, very,beautiful tree. BUT...this year (2010) it developed
a bazillion olives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so disapointed.
I now have to decide whether I want to keep it and spray
it every single year or rip it out and plant another
--supposedly-- fruitless olive. Tough decision!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here