Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redfordaz

Tree Suggestions

redfordaz
14 years ago

Can anyone suggest some some good trees for privacy. I'm not a huge fan of desert looking trees. I love ash and elm but wish they were evergreen (I really want to block the view of my neighbors all year long). I've heard good and bad things about sisu trees. What are your thoughts, opinions, suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

How much room do you have?

• redfordaz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would say roughly 60 feet wide by 35 feet deep--although I don't want it to be all tree. I want some grassy area but privacy from the neighbors. Thanks!

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

I forgot to ask - what city? And which direction are the neighbors and the fence?

Find a copy of Sunset Western Garden book (library has them) and check out these trees. Some are greener than others, some have a very "desert" look.

Check the Acacia family. Sweet acacia is evergreen and thorny, tends to have a thick umbrella of foliage from 8-12 feet off the ground. Not huge, but if you plant a small cluster they can screen things nicely.

Consider oleanders if they will not block the sun from the grass ... nothing says privacy like a 15-foot wall of green with flowers. Tough as nails in this climate, and quite fast growing. You can prune them into high-based shrubs or small trees if you keep at it.

Some of the smaller Eucalyptus, like Eucalyptus spathulata (swamp mallee) with its shiny red metallic bark might work.

And the so-called "Australian Willow" (Geijera parviflora) which is really not a willow.

Texas Olive (Cordia boissieri) easily hits 15 feet, and blooms with huge white papery flowers. Fruit is edible, birds love it.

You would get faster results from several smaller trees with underplantings of shrubs than from a couple of trees that eventually would fill the area. Put the trees where they will start blocking the most offensive views as soon as they get above fence line, and as the canopy spreads you will get the rest.

• greendesert
    14 years ago

the Sissoo tree is one of my favorite trees in the whole world, BUT it is not a good one for a privacy screen in my opinion. The number one absolute best tree for privacy here in my opinion is sour orange (Seville). You can plant them 3-4 feet apart and they will grow into a hedge that you can trim. They grow quite fast, they're evergreen and they're not toxic like oleanders. So you have to pick up some inedible fallen oranges a couple of times a year. Not a big deal (You can even use the rind to make marmelade I hear)
    You can see some of these hedges around Phoenix.
    Oleander is also an excellent one (and would be numero uno on my list if it wasn't for the invasiveness of the roots and the latest disease they've been dying of - leaf scorch)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Seville oranges make PERFECT marmalade!

• redfordaz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, great tips. We are in Queen Creek and the neighbors are south of us. I will look up the trees you mentioned (my sister has the Sunset Western Garden book) Thanks lazygardens and greendesert.