Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_12422

When to give up on winter crops?

jeff_12422
12 years ago

This past winter, I planted broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, lettuce and brussels sprouts. Lettuce and carrots did fine. The brussels sprouts did NOTHING. The broccoli was a bit late, but I've harvested a bit from it. The cauliflower is just now starting to form heads. I'm guessing I planted them a little too late....

So my question is, is it time to give up and clean everything out in preparation for the summer crops, or wait a bit more? I have tomato, eggplant and pepper seedlings that need to be planted, but I can put them into small pots for a few more weeks instead of planting directly into the garden bed, if that makes more sense.

I know that when plants are still producing, but obviously past their prime, you need to pull them in the interest of getting the next season's plants in, but I'm not sure if it's too early for that.

Also, I just read another thread recommending that instead of pulling the broccoli plants, to cut them down to the soil and leave them in for next fall. If I do that, will there be enough room for tomatoes, etc.? If you do that, how do you dig/till and mix in soil amendments for the next crop?

Comment (1)