Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Prune Oleander Trees

Posted by terreeves 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 21:37

I planted 3 white oleander trees a year ago and they are getting tall, but don't seem to be getting bushy. They are about 8 feet tall and only about 3 feet wide. They are young trees and I want them to eventually be bushy. How and when should I prune them to get them form into a ball type shape? I greatly appreciate advice. I cannot find anything on the web.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Prune Oleander Trees

In the GardenWeb search box at the top of the page type "pruning oleanders". There's a small topic on it. That phrase also gets scads of hits on google.

o

Thanks for your response. I saw the topic on pruning oleanders, but when I read it, it was about bushes. I have found a lot on the web related to bushes, but not on how to prune trees. I don't know if they are pruned differently.

o

You want a "ball on a stick" kind of oleander?

Start by making the "stick" ... pick the most vertical shoot it has. Prune off all the side branches and force it into an upright with a single stem. You may have to stake it for a while.

Shorten the branches at the top to encourage them to branch out.

Keep pruning off any side buds below the spot you want the ball part, and keep the ball pruned.

For a multi-branched oleander "tree", pick several thick branches and prune off the side shoots for a few feet above the ground. As the tree grows, keep pruning up the stem until you have a smallish tree.

o

Oleanders aren't trees; they're bushes. You can form them into small trees with judicious pruning. The first time I saw them as something more than a mess was in Ajo, AZ where they're planted around the town square. Beautiful. The link below has a link to all you'd ever need to know about oleanders.

Here is a link that might be useful: oleander 'trees'

o

Okay, here's another possibility, The International Oleander Society below

Here is a link that might be useful: www.oleander.org

o

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. I really appreciated them. I want my oleanders to look like the ball form in the photo above. I definitely need to do some pruning of my trees, but now that it is Spring and there are buds on the branches, I guess I have to wait until Fall.

o

You don't have to wait - oleanders can be pruned any time of year. Take off all the side branches under the point where you want the ball to start.

In fact, if you are shaping, pruning several times a year, lightly, is the best way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here