Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haname

What's Growing this March 2012? :)

Haname
12 years ago

I have some peas that have done really well and were so sweet and delicious! They will be done soon. The herbs have been great too, but I think the greens would have appreciated a little nip of frost. Still, I won't complain about a mild winter. :)

So what are you planting this month? Veggies, herbs, flowers, ornamentals? It's a good time to plant all sorts of good things, and I hope you will share what you're doing in your garden.

Comments (11)

• azbookworm
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have my tomatoes in right now. A bit too cool for the squashes. Waiting till a bit later for all the beans, okra, zucchinis and such! I can't wait!

• whitelotusaz
    12 years ago

We just started our first garden, (I used to garden years ago but life changes made it impossible for awhile) We have some tomato plants in containers that are doing very well, even one in that silly looking topsy turvy thing , My Guy thought that was hysterical and wanted to try it!
    We also have some spinach and butter lettuce that it still growing, not sure I will get much out of it other than amending the soil for later but it is still doing well.
    Dill, Oregano, Mints, are doing well.Cucumbers are just forming true leaves.. they are growing so fast! Have some seeds for Watermelons, Cantalopes and Squash but not sure if I can put them out yet? This cooler weather has me stymied ...I am chomping at the bit to get it going now that we have started :)
    Tons of flowers of course and some great Angelonia that I am trying for the first time, has anyone used these?
    What are your thoughts on direct sowing the melons and squash right now? Too cold still?

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

The usual suspects are looking great in my garden right now: geraniums, petunias, pansies etc. Here's a quick pic of some of them blooming away with very little effort this time of year (tennis ball included to show size):

{{gwi:399615}}

Aloes are looking really nice as well:

Aloe hybrid:

{{gwi:399618}}

Aloe striata ("coral aloe"), a real winner. I've planted quite a few of these all around my little garden.

{{gwi:399621}}

And I've got lettuce and Swiss chard coming out my ears, which is a good thing:

{{gwi:399623}}

It's always fun to see/hear what's doing well (or awful) in everyone's gardens! Happy gardening everyone, Grant

• whitehl
    12 years ago

Grant,

New member to the forum! Your garden is beautiful...are you growing your lettuces in pots?

• Haname
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Grant, your lettuce and Swiss chard look scrumptious!!

Whitelotus, try the link below to the planting calendar for our area. I think this is the time for some of the items you mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Calendar

• whitelotusaz
    12 years ago

Thank you Haname. I was only thinking the weather has not been 'normal' but putting them out anyway!
    Grant.. as always your garden looks amazing :)

• ame_ga_furimasu
    12 years ago

Grant, your garden looks great! And delicious! =)
    Let's see... This is my first year trying to garden in Arizona so my garden is a bit light so far. I have a bit of parsley and I just started some Lima beans, senna and I'm working on some Apache sunflowers. I haven't decided on anything else so far. I'm lacking in any major yard space so I'm limited to what I can do in pots mostly.

• pgde
    12 years ago

Before I post any of my current citrus pictures, here is a picture of wildflowers from our backyard. I can't take credit for planting these -- only credit to Mother Nature .

{{gwi:399627}}

Peter

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Love the new updates, they're fun. Thanks for the nice comments on my little garden, I appreciate them. Some years I grow my lettuce in the ground, but this year I'm trying a really, really big wok-style terracotta style pot on the patio. Most years I plant them around the base of my small (not casting much shade yet) navel orange tree, but this winter I've filled that area with geraniums, so the pot has worked out nicely as a substitute.

Peter, your wildflowers are AWESOME. That's a great picture, too, so evocative of the desert southwest. I love it. Thanks for posting it!

Here are a couple of other things looking good right now.

'Cherry Star' mini-petunia (Calibrachoa), which, like regular petunias, blooms pretty much nonstop for me autumn, winter, spring and early summer.

{{gwi:399628}}

"Desert bluebells" (Phacelia campanularia, so easy to grow from seed scattered around in November and December (or once you have plants, let them drop some seed)).

{{gwi:399631}}

Grevillea rosmarinifolia just about ready to open its earliest blooms. This is a really fun, leafy shrub for this climate. I love it.

{{gwi:399634}}

Such a great, easy time of year to enjoy our gardens! Keep the pics and posts coming.
    Happy gardening everyone!
    Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pics so far March 2012

• ra
    12 years ago

I'm loving this warm weather! and it seems like my plants are lovin it too!

{{gwi:399637}}
    Hong Kong Orchid tree still covered in blooms! So many bees hovering this tree all day :D

{{gwi:399638}}
    More Brugmansia blooms

{{gwi:399639}}
    Orange Hibiscus lovin the sun

{{gwi:399640}}
    First blooms from my Calla Lillies this year! I'm real excited about these ones.

{{gwi:399641}}
    My Plumeria waking up from winter :)

{{gwi:399642}}
    First flower on my Pomegranate 'Wonderful'

All the Canna Lillies that I divided a month or so ago are all blooming at the same time now
    {{gwi:399643}}

{{gwi:399645}}

{{gwi:399647}}

{{gwi:399649}}
    This one's just about to pop open

{{gwi:399651}}
    This one just got done and it's starting to seed itself, but there's another flower coming just right next to it to the left.

Now for my vegie garden in the backyard

{{gwi:399652}}
    One of my 6'x4' raised beds. Tomato 'Beefsteak' @ back left, Tomato 'Pink Brandy Wine' @ Back middle, Okra 'emerald' @ back right, Eggplant 'Aswad' @ Front left, Nasturtium @ front middle, and Sweet Chocolate Pepper @ Front right.

{{gwi:399653}}
    My other 6'x4' raised bed. Bitter gourd @ Back left, Tomato 'Gold Medal' @ back middle, Tomato 'Reisentraube' @ Back right, Watermelon 'Moon and Stars' @ Front Middle, and another Tomato 'Gold Medal' @ front right.

{{gwi:399654}}
    Watermelon "Black Diamond Yellow Flesh"

{{gwi:399655}}
    First blooms on my watermelon :) no female flowers yet

{{gwi:399656}}
    Some extra tomato seedlings and three Cherimoya seedlings.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Great great great update and pics raimeiken! I loved each and every photo. Your plumerias and pomegranate (I'm doing 'Ambrosia' in this garden, but have grown and loved 'Wonderful' in my previous gardens) are way ahead of mine. It's really fun to see who is growing what, and when. You have a ton of really great plants and obviously you have a very, very green thumb. So fun to see! Thanks for sharing them with us. Keep us posted!

Happy gardening all!
    Grant