Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arnholt_gw

Is it possible to plant native trees without watering?

Arnholt
12 years ago

I have recently purchased a 2.6 acre residential lot which will not be developed for about 12 years. It is a beautiful lot; I feel blessed to own it. The lot is at elevation 1700 ft and has about a 15-18 degree varying slope with some flatter and steeper areas. The lot has 26 mature Saguaros, and many barrel cacti and some native ironwoods and palo verde.

I would like to do some plantings now such that when the lot is developed, more mature trees will be in place. Here's the problem: I will have no way to water or take care of the trees or cacti. I live out of state. Unless I pay someone, they will receive absolutely no care. There will be no irrigation for years to come.

I know I can only plant native species that are highly drought resistant. However, is it reasonable to expect that they would even survive? Are there some tricks, like burying some 55 gal drums with water that could slowly seep out? Do landscape companies use water trucks (and if so, how much, how often, and how costly?)

It would be wonderful to plant a number of mesquite, palo verde, or ironwood trees now and have them more mature in a decade. However, would they survive if carefully planted with mulch, but then left completely alone?

If not trees, are there any species of cacti that could tolerate the same neglect?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!

Comments (3)