Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roanimare

Passiflfora (Passion Fruit) Frederick

roanimare
15 years ago

Hi - Does anyone grow Passiflora Frederick and/or know where I can purchase some plants now? I was reading that people were growing them in 2005 on the forum. Thanks.

Comments (26)

• balamay
    15 years ago

hi ,

I recently bought one from Home Depot, i bought Passiflora but am not sure about Frederick.

• roanimare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi - Thanks ... I'll go check them out. I like the Frederick because it has the darker fruit.

• azbolt
    15 years ago

I have one growing now, it's been in the ground for a year. It was purchased at Home Depot, but I see that they are not always in stock. Good luck!

Kevin

• roanimare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi - Just for your info ... Baker's has Passiflora Frederick - and they even have fruit! I got one - then got a Haas Avocado to try.

• Kathleen W
    15 years ago

Hi Michelle,

Long time, no see. I was growing Frederick up here in the far NE valley back in 2005 and my vine was GIANORMOUS! It covered a 5' non-climb fence solidly for 50'. Then we had that killing frost a couple years ago which wiped it out completely even though it was covered with burlap. So, wherever you put your Frederick, you'll have to cover it and possibly heat it too if the frost shows up again. I do have a start off that plant that is in a huge pot but I am leery of putting it in the ground after what happened. I lost 4 huge euphorbias too, all in pots under cover. It was just so cold that year....

• roanimare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI ... How are you?! ... I had one a few years back too (not as big as yours though) and lost it to the freeze, although I'm not sure it was the Frederick one. I will take your advice and make sure I put it in a place where I can cover and light it if I need to. Thanks for the suggestions!:) I also lost a dragon fruit plant that year, a nice big one and I'm just starting a cutting of it again now.

• avalen
    15 years ago

I've always loved the passion vine but just recently found
    out it had edible fruit. Has anyone eaten it and how big is
    the fruit, and how is it eaten, what I mean is... does it have
    a skin you peel or just bite it and eat it or is it small
    enough you just pop the whole thing in your mouth, sorry
    to sound stupid but this is a new thing to me.

• roanimare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi - Not stupid questions, very good ones. The fruit is plum size and either purple or yellow. It has lots of seeds inside so most people squeeze it for the juice and make things like nector or jelly or butters out of it. In Hawaii, its called lilikoi - passion fruit. It is very good and usually sweet. You can't just pop it in your mouth because you'll get a mouth full of tiny seeds. It is more like a pomagranate in that you use the juice and strained pulp.

• Kathleen W
    15 years ago

The fruit I've gotten from my old Frederick (and the new container bound start) are purple and filled with seeds. BUT they are very sour, more like a lemon than a tropical fruit. I have only ever gotten a handful of fruit - you pick them after they fall off the vine to ensure they are "ripe" - and in fact I have two here on the counter right now. The fruit pulp is classically used as a drizzle over pavlova, a baked meringue dessert filled with whipped cream and other fruits. It is very pretty lime green and "slurpy" looking and offsets the super sweet dessert with it's sour taste.

Really loving this wonderful spring time of year - so much in bloom right now.

• roanimare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Kathleen - Aren't you in Surprise? When I really got interested in passion fruit was when I was on Maui and watched a woman pick and get the juice from them. They were deep purple like egg plant and soft and reddish. I don't know if that is Frederick because I think its more yellow inside. You could smell them from 50 feet away. She didn't share! LOL I've had passion fruit butter that is really good and it is tangy.

• Kathleen W
    14 years ago

Hi Michelle,

I'm close to you, in the far NE valley. Yes, the Frederick is purple/reddish outside and chartruese/yellow-green inside. Sort of a goopy juice with a lot of black seeds. Very pretty on the cloud-like pavlova. It does smell quite tropical and has that taste too but it's tangy.

• Dan8fruit
    12 years ago

I have seen many passion fruit vine growing in my neighborhood and most of them are Frederick. Almost all of them still had their tag on so I was able to identify the variety and where it came from. The most popular nursery with a reputation through my experience for best fruit quality and vine growing is La Verney Nursery. I gave a link to the site. Hope this information is of any help and good luck.

Daniel

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.lavernenursery.com

• roanimare
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Daniel - I know this nursery and bought from them through a club once. I will check it out again.

• newtoucan
    12 years ago

I got my passion fruit Frederick plant at Home Depot a couple months ago. I also saw them at Lowes. Mine is planted in the ground and surprisingly has had done well despite it being quite cold. Hopefully, there won't be a hard freeze because i have no frost cloth. It is on a trellis near a block wall so hopefully that will help if there is a freeze.

• Dan8fruit
    12 years ago

Yeah, don't mention it...

I got a Frederick passion fruit vine at my local city college last summer to support the college environmental horticulture program and because it got it for a good deal. When I got it, it was two feet tall. It's growing surprisingly fast. It is currently 15 ft. tall with four branches and three fruits. I had to re pot it twice! It is now it a 20 gal. pot. If I had enough room in my backyard I would have transplant it into the ground. I'll try to post some pictures.

Daniel

• Dan8fruit
    11 years ago

Hey roanimare, If you still are looking for a 'Frederick' passion fruit vine I have two for sale. ;)

• missmmj
    11 years ago

Hi Dan8fruit!
    Ive been looking for a Frederick passion fruit vine! Im interested in buying one or both from you!!!
    I grew up with them (the dark purple ones) growing in my backyard in Australia. Love them! Cant believe they're not available at the grocery stores here. Now that I own my own home, Im totally excited to grow some of my own! Any tips on how to fertilize, etc would be greatly appreciated!

• euqruob
    11 years ago

My Frederick is putting out buds now, should bloom by next week. I have an edulis in the greenhouse and several seedlings growing from 2 varieties of seed I brought back from Maui.

Last year, I had lots of flowers, but only one fruit, I think lack of humidity hurt it, this year, I'll run the mister on the plant.

• TropicShawn
    11 years ago

Lowes still has a lot of Fredricks too. I know that both the ones on baseline, both at rual and 19th ave, had some nice looking ones last week. One at rual even flowering already. I picked myself up a passionfruit a few months ago. Now that it is growing good I am trying to get some cuttings to root.

• euqruob
    11 years ago

If you get seeds, they do quite well. The ones I have in the greenhouse are growing like crazy, but will probably keep inside till August or September. I had a massive Edulus plant that I lost after 1.5 years. First year, it went up into the neighbor's tree to escape heat, then we had the freeze and I pulled it all down, but I kept it down and the plant cooked to death. The established Frederick that is blooming is in a less hot spot. Pictures as the weird flowers come...

• euqruob
    11 years ago

My Frederick's first bloom today.

{{gwi:399708}}

• tracydr
    11 years ago

Is it too late to plant some passifloras? I'd like to plant some maypops, fredericks,maybe some type of red.
    Anybody recommend a good online source for plants?

• scausey
    11 years ago

Yum! My mom (from Australia) has a passionfruit vine growing on the south side of their mountaintop home in western NC - it's become pesty - the roots must be really deep, but it comes back every summer although rarely fruits. Pavlova - forgot about that treat....

• tracydr
    11 years ago

I'm looking for Frederick. Has anyone seen any lately?

• azcouponista
    7 years ago

Is there a place to pick passion fruit in the Phoenix area?

• hollyhawk55
    6 years ago

Easytogrowbulbs.com has Fredrick on sale $9.95 I have ordered from them for 4 yrs with a 95% success on stock. They have very good communication.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks