Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does my lawn need seeding?

Posted by adi_az AZ (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 22:38

Hello everybody-

Attached are the pictures of my lawn with Bermuda grass.

It used to be healthy. Had heavy weed infestation during winter, and I treated with multiple applications of weed killers. Now weeds seemed to have died off.

I have not watered the lawn for more than a month now.

Does my lawn need seeding? Or will it spring up with regular watering? Can somebody help me with watering schedules?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does my lawn need seeding?

One more picture

o

Wait to seed your lawn as Bermuda seed germinates best when night time temperatures are above 65 degrees, usually in May.

For now, keep watering to keep the underground rhizomes alive. This time of year once every week to 2 weeks should do it as long as the water is soaking down to 6 - 8 inches. Use a long screwdriver to check. About 30 minutes to an hour after watering probe your lawn area in several places. It will be easy to push the probe as deep as the water soaked, but difficult where the water stopped. If you can only probe 3 inches, you need to water longer.

After you apply the seed, you'll need to water several times a day until it germinates. A thin layer of compost or mulch will slow evaporation and protect seeds from birds.

o

Aztreelvr,

thanks for the response. I am hoping that the grass grows without seeding. I am watering for now, and will see if the grass starts growing again.

o

Is this area in the area of a shade tree? If so it will be very hard to get the bermuda to come back to it's full vigor.

o

No, the area does get sunlight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here