Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyscarlet

Inherited Young Pomegranate Tree

sunnyscarlet
14 years ago

We moved into a new house at the end of last October (2009). The previous owners had planted a pomegranate a year or two before (I'm guessing that it was in it's second year because it had 2 pomegranates on it). Now it's flowering and I'm realizing that I need to figure this tree out! I think it's growing into it's third year and it really seems to be doing well. It has a lot of blooms and it's also shot out new branches.

Can I get some help answering these questions:

1. I found out that it needs to be fertilized in March and November, and well, I didn't think about it until now. Is it too late to fertilize it or would it just be better to wait until November?

2. It has a lot of flowers. Do I need to "thin" the potential fruit or do I leave it alone?

3. How often do I need to water it?

I would appreciate any help you can give. I really want to take care of this tree so it will grow well and produce fruit.

Comments (6)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

1 - Get and use a moisture meter. $6 will save you hundreds on plan replacement.

Water it DEEPLY when you water it - run a soaker hose coiled around the entire canopy area and a few feet out for several hours at a slow drip. However, that should not be until the soil is dry 6 inches or more down. You will learn how your spoil holds or doesn't hold water.

Mulch the entire root area (or as much of it as you can) with 4-6 inches of something that doesn't decay quickly, but keep a few inches around the trunk clear of mulch.

2 - Don't worry about fertilizing it until you have the watering figured out. Pomegranates do well on neglect as long as they get water, and you are more likely to hurt it than help it with fertilizer. The schedules are usually for orchard production, and are too much too often.

3 - Prune off any new branches that are crossing the interior of the tree, and any that are headed in directions you don't approve of.

Decide if you want a big bush or a small multi-stemmed tree. If you want the small tree, start by pruning off a few of the bottom branches. As the top grows, you will be pruning out the bottom ones until you have 3-5 feet of trunk or trunks cleared over the next several years.

BTW, the red flower petals will dry on the fruit and can be gently pulled off to use in potpourri. They stay really red, unlike most red blossoms.

• sunnyscarlet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, lazygardens, for answering my questions!

Do I also need to thin out the fruit as it begins to grow on the tree (like when you thin out peaches, apples, etc.)?

Thank you, again!! Your response was very helpful!

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Yes, if there are so many that the branch is starting to bend. If it's growing in clusters, thin back to 2-3 per cluster, if it's all alnong the branch thin them so they are 6-8 inches apart at the tips and 4-6 apart closer to the trunk where the branches are sturdier.

• sunnyscarlet
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, thank you so very much!! I am so grateful for your responses. I am feeling a lot more confident now about our little pomegranate.

• Violaloujen_hotmal_com
    12 years ago

I am considering purchasing a "Wonderful" pomogranite tree. I live in Prescott AZ (CV) My soil is full of calechee. I dig most of my holes past 8 inches, with pick axe due to it being to hard to dig. I have some ground that has been worked and worked, gardened. The soil is pretty good. What should I do to my soil befor planting the tree and will the winter chill be bad for it?

• AJBB
    12 years ago

Mix your backfill with 70% native soil and 30% compost to allow for drainage. If you don't, you'll kill your pomegranate through root suffocation.

Pomegranates are deciduous and are hardy to 5 degrees, which should work for Zone 7 (Prescott).