Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stunning Lawn Alternative, Phoenix, AZ

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 0:26

My front yard has lawn that has its own cement border and surrounded by rocks and desert plants, which is typical of a Phoenix front yard.

I'm desperately looking at getting rid of the lawn, but would like something nice to put in place. I was thinking of putting plugs of Sedum Angelina or Lavender. I have not seen anyone else who has done this. I'm thinking it's because it won't work.

Any ideas or pictures of a stunning lawn alternative that might be atypical.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stunning Lawn Alternative, Phoenix, AZ

Sedum and Lavender will die.

How big is the area?

First, kill the lawn with roundup by following this method.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/52156/how_to_kill_bermuda_grass.html

If you have a sprinkler system, and can convert it to drip (there are kits, it's easy to do), which most lawn areas do, you can grow almost anything that can handle the heat and sun. Consider it an "oasis" area and grow things that need a bit more water.

Myoporum is solid deep green, nice white flowers. Spreads wide and flat. Useful around tall spiky plants like Thompsons yucca.

Those white morning glory bushes with grey leaves (I forget the name) are fluffy and cool looking. They spread

Spreading Lantana - really gaudy flowers, butterflies love them, but tend to die back with frost.

Some of the penstemons are perennial, and need a tad more water than "desert" plants. There is "Angelita daisy" - a spreader with deep green leaves and relatively tall flower stems above the leaves.

Think of it as a really big container ... plant for some height, some spreaders around the edge, and check for flowering to cover all the seasons.

Can you post pictures and dimensions? I LOVE to help people get rid of lawns.

o

Frog Fruit (Lippia nodiflora)would be a good lawn replacement for here, could be walked on and mowed, is very drought tolerant once established, spreads easily.....would be hard to find though.

o

Mix your soil with a little compost and plant a lot of portacularia afra. They form moderate sized bushes in the ground. They are also easy to grow in pots. Good luck!!!

o

Why would lavender die? My brother has huge, huge lavender bushes in Scottsdale in full sun. They are several years old. He planted them in raised mounds in the landscape in his backyard. He also has lots of salvia which looks very similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here