Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prickly pear from seed!?

Posted by zone10aridgardener (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 0:37

Around three years back I ate one of my neighbors prickly pear fruits. I ended up throwing the seeds out in my yard and now I have tiny litte prickly pears. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prickly pear from seed!?

Wow ... speedy aren't they!

o

Hah, funny! You know, prickly pears are notorious for being slow and/or random in their germination. I've harvested fresh seed and planted it and some sprouted right away, and others took a year, two or even three. I try to either plant them in the ground or put the pots where I don't have to see them too often so I don't get too annoyed, LOL.

Are you going to keep the babies?
Take care,
Grant

o

I totally don't see the point of planting them from seed unless you're trying to hybridize them. way easier to just chop a pad off a mature plant and pop it in the ground, and you have an established plant in a couple of months.

o

I have also planted prickly pear pads but the seeds were just for fun. And yes I do plan on keeping them. :)

o

i am trying to grow prickly pear from seed and when they sprout a tiny hair like sprout that looks almost like a mushroom comes up and dies like the next day... what is happening?

o

It's fun to start opuntia from seed, especially when you have several times blooming at the same time--you never know what you'll get, LOL. Here's a little pot of some I started from some huge-paddle plants in my front yard. I let the birds eat the big round red fruit, but I found a few seeds in the eaten fruit so I tossed them in a pot. This batch sprouted very quickly, although I've waited a loooong time in the past for other opuntia seeds to sprout, LOL. Tennis ball to show relative size.

Caitlin, it sounds like you are getting actual mushrooms in your soil? I'd make sure to use fresh, new seed-starting "soil-less" potting soil in a clean, mostly sterilized pot too. It wouldn't hurt to pour boiling water over the pot and then the pot full of soil to help kill pathogens. Just let it cool before planting seeds of course. :)

Take care all,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My little garden blog, just a post or two a month

o
typo RE: Prickly pear from seed!?

Um, that was supposed to say "several TYPES blooming at the same time", darn spell check, LOL. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here