Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nathanc_4

Extreme prepping to grow Jakfruit/Jackfruit?

NathanC_4
10 years ago

So I've complied everything I've know to grow any tropical/humid subtropical plant in an arid subtropical area. I'll probably post that later, but basically shade, root growth, soil amending, supports, extensive pruning and deep irrigation. Now, I've read online that they can't stand drying winds. Got any ideas to fix this? Is my efforts to grow this just plain futile?

Comments (11)

• ra
    10 years ago

How do you plan on protecting it during the colder months? Jackfruit are very sensitive to cold weather. A green house is probably the best place to grow this tree in.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

Jackfruit will fruit in pots as long as you can protect it from freezing and give it some humidity it should do okay. I have seen them fruiting in large pots with the fruits hanging on the ground. They are pretty tough as long as they don't totally freeze.
    The sun in Phx area (used to live there) is pretty brutal so it might appreciate a little shade during the hottest part of the day in the summer months. You might also think about sinking the pot halfway into the soil to keep the roots cooler.
    I barely keep my gh above freezing here in NE FL so it is under 35F during the winter inside and freezing outside the greenhouse at times as we get several freezes a yr here. I have a few jackfruit seedlings that did okay in the greenhouse over the winter that way. Longan and Starfruit, and Sausage Trees (not a fruit but pretty tender) also survive those winter temps as well.
    I sent my mom a link to the AZ rare fruit growers page as she lives in Peoria and grows tropical fruit. I didn't know there was a chapter in AZ. She will be thrilled.
    ~SJN

• captaininsano (9b/13) Peoria, AZ.
    10 years ago

I planted a jackfruit seed last April, in a 5 gallon bucket not expecting much, but it grew fairly well through summer without any protection reached about 4 ft tall and made it through winter just fine but about a month ago I started to notice some die back on the branches and slowly it succumbed to something, still upset about it. Maybe I will try again just have to get some seeds.

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

Next try some growing some durian.

• NathanC_4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have germinated 4 jakfruit seeds I got from a small portion of fresh jakfruit from the local Asian market. I soaked them in a closed container (to retain moisture) for about 2 months now. I looked at them today, and they are already growing roots! Those things really do sneak up on you...and all this time I thought it was wasting space on the windowsill. Anyways, I will probably plant in them in cups indoor, and them temper them to go out. side. There is a shelter path next to my house that would be perfect for them to establish. What do you recommend to do to increase humidity in pots?

Once I get my other trees, I will plant it among them, but I am being forced to plant all my tropical (mango) trees next the the east wall, under the sun. Do you recommend planting it under the sun, with the shade of mangoes, or on the east wall (no after noon sun), under the shade of a carob tree?

Sorry about the late answer. :(

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Keep us posted in what happens. Mister would keep humidity up, but it's got to learn to live without it.

• newtoucan
    9 years ago

Keep us posted in what happens. Mister would keep humidity up, but it's got to learn to live without it.

• brisly76
    9 years ago

Hey I live in San tan valley az, I've been experimenting with jack fruit for 3 years now and have learned a few things. First off my area is more a 8b/9a zone so we can and do dip into the 20's every winter. The first year I planted jackfruit seeds is about 30 different places in my back yard they all came up fine in the spring and even in direct sun they grew. What I noticed is the more shade they had the faster and greener they grew. So for me i had the best luck giving them shade. My first years trees reached 3feet but them were eaten by my kids rabbits. After the rabbit "ran away" I tried my experiment again this time only in the best areas of my yard. The next group grew really well and fast and it was interesting to see new growth coming from the roots of the rabbit eaten trees. The next test was the frost. Example last night it got down to 25 here and I didn't cover any of them. The trees that were shaded near a wall or structure are frost free and still very green however the trees that were shaded by other trees seem to have died back. As far as wind goes I think if you plant it near your house you should be ok.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

Thanks for the report Brisley76! Hope.

• ra
    9 years ago

great to hear people experimenting on more sub tropical trees here. keep us updated and maybe some pictures

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville