Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Place in Phoenix with small cheap vegetable plants (seedlings?)

Posted by rdazgardener 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 11 at 0:56

I've started a garden at my new home in Glendale and have been looking around for a good place to buy small vegetable plants, such as ones that are basically seedlings (like the ones that come in the "6 pack" flower containers where they aren't even each in their own pot or that come in the really small box shaped pot) but haven't found any except for some small tomato plants at Wal-mart that are 50 cents each (of which I got a few already). Everything else I have found is more mature and more expensive. I'd like to have a fairly large garden area and, although I have been starting from some seeds, I would rather be able to get things started a bit faster with plants that are already a few weeks old. I've tried Wal-mart and Home Depot so far, does anyone know of places that have a variety of cheap, small, vegetable plants? Thanks for any info

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Place in Phoenix with small cheap vegetable plants (seedlings

Try regular nurseries, like Desert winds (or whatever their name is now. They usually have 6-packs of stuff.

o

Try Summer Winds in Glendale - on Bell around 65th Ave, north side of Bell. Maybe that's the one lazy was thinking of.

It's getting a bit late to plant tomatoes now, it'll be 100 degrees before you know it. How about some squash instead? Perfect time to plant zucc, crookneck, spaghetti squash. That's what I'll be doing today, sowing seed though, not transplants.

Good luck with the garden.

o

Thanks, yeah I already planted the tomatoes so I don't think I'm going to be planting many more of them, I will check those out

o

try home depot all the bonnie stuff is 1/3 off the had some okra in 4 packs as well as the usual line up of squash eggplants peppers and melons that love our heat

o

I don't know about Home Depot... I see them as anything BUT cheap. those prices are insane. sorry, but at those prices, nobody is recouping much of that money in produce. I agree, now is the time to plant melons, squashes, okra, armenian cucumbers (these are fantastic) - from seed. And they pop up very fast... in 3 weeks you have established plants.

o

i agree they're a little pricy but at 1/3 off it's way more affordable i plant everything but tomatoes and peppers from seed anyway it's way cheaper and the starts u but are really only a couple weeks from seed not very cost effective.

o

I went to home depot the other day and out in front of the garden section they have 4 packs of peppers, okra, tomatoes and I think maybe some herbs for $1.60 per 4 pack which is really good I think, I am not sure if they were on sale or what

o

I saw an ad for 2 for $1 vegetable packs at Lowes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here