Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to prune my grapes now?

Posted by greendesert NW of PHX (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 1:05

I have a bunch of grapes that I planted this winter and one (a Thompson Seedless) that I planted last fall.
I just finished making an arch for the thompson seedless and want to train it up the arch, but right now it has been growing quite fast in every direction. Is it too late for me to prune it to just 2 main branches that will go over the arch? or should I wait untill next winter? The plant is about 3-4 ft tall and quite bushy
Also it would be nice if I could find some resource on how to train a grape plant over an arch. This is an arch made of bent rebar similar to this:
http://www.rd.com/84791/article84791.html
I'm finding lots of info on how to train grapes on vertical posts and horizontal wires, but nothing specific about arches.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to prune my grapes now?

I still have a few hundred grapes to prune, its not to late to prune them as long as you dont bleed the vine out. Train the vine the same way as what you've read, it just goes over a arch instead of a horizontal line. If you want your welcome to come by the nursery and I can show you how

Here is a link that might be useful: The Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here