Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this tree survive

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 1:33

I received a tall and spindly Chinese Elm. It's probably about 11 feet tall. The trunk is maybe 1.5"-2" in diameter. Around 5 feet from the ground, the trunk curves to the left about 1.5 inches and then straight up again, like the letter "S" on it's side. I think it's because this tree was tied to the stake too long.

I'm wondering if the curve in this tree will be a long term problem. As the tree grows and has a larger canopy, will the trunk be able to support it and will the trunk become straight again. I'm wondering if that curve will fix itself. I think it's too thick now to try to train it back straight.

Should I invest my time in growing a different tree that's starts out straight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this tree survive

Where did you get the tree? If you didn't select it yourself, get a refund.

it's unlikely to straighten out completely.

o

I remeasured and the tree is only 1/2" in diameter. It bends to the left about 30 degrees about 5 feet up from the ground and then straight back up again.

Do you still feel I should get a refund? I'm just wondering if it will hold up the canopy long term and get a little straighter?

It's just a pain to uproot the poor thing and take it back. It is a tall tree at 10-11 feet tall.

o

Over time and growth the bend will become less noticeable. It should be able to support a canopy okay if you allow it to branch low enough for good trunk growth and very slowly limb it up as the trunk strengthens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here