Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psuperb1

In ground Cosmos sulphureus seedlings, water

psuperb1
14 years ago

First post.

Planted C. sulphureus 7 weeks ago. Germination 5 weeks ago. Seedlings are still about 1". I've read that seedlings don't need much water after germination. Is watering lightly every 2-3 days too much?

Penstemon superbus planted last spring is my favorite plant. Can I rely on it to reseeed or is it better to buy another nursery plant?

Have 3 penstemon varieties in bloom. How long does it take hummingbirds to find to find them?!!

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

It sounds like they have stalled because of lack of water.

They will do better with a thorough (deep) watering every few days until they are bigger. The worst "sin" in Arizona gardening is light watering, because the roots will stay where the water is instead of going deep where they are safe from the heat.

Get a moisture tester and use it. You want the soil to be damp at least 6 inches down so the roots will go there.

• psuperb1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lazygardens:

Thank you. I will immediately go outside and water to a depth of 6". I selectively read the care advice below. Duh? I didn't apply common sense. I missed the clue that plants would become tall and spindly if I were overwatering.

"Yellow cosmos needs only basic care to provide a colorful abundance of blooms all summer long. After the seedlings emerge, water VERY SPARINGLY. In lieu of any rainfall during an entire month, give the planting bed a long, slow drink. Cosmos is drought tolerant, providing abundant blooms with less water than most other annuals. Herein lies the "problem" which many people encounter when growing cosmos -- they "over-care" for their cosmos plants. "Over-care" means too much water, too much fertility and too much shade. When "over-care" occurs, cosmos becomes tall and spindly (even when the new, lower-growing varieties are used), and blooms sparsely. John Thomas says that the best growers of cosmos practice "tough-love" plant culture. "Tough-love" watering means only watering when the cosmos foliage begins to wilt."

• grant_in_arizona
    14 years ago

Lazy gave perfect advise as usual. I grow cosmos (several kinds) now and then and I water deeply but not very often--they love it. Your penstemon will probably make tons of seedlings if you leave some of the bloom stalks on to get pollinated and make seed pods and then let them dry and crack open to release the seed.

If you don't get any seed pods/seeds, you can buy seed and sprinkle it around mid-summer during monsoon and you'll get seedlings in summer or fall for future blooms. My garden is being taken over (in a good way) with penstemons this year and I love it (P. palmeri, P. eatonii, and a few P. superbus). They're all from a few seed pods from my previous garden and they're going crazy and should be blooming in just a few more days (the eatonii is already in full bloom). I usually trim off most of the bloom stalks as they fade so the plants don't spend too much energy ripening seeds, but I DO leave one or two stalks per plant to get some replacements as my individual plants only last 2-5 years at most.

Keep us posted and good luck with all of your gardening.
    Take care,
    Grant

• psuperb1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Grant,

Thanks for your comments on Cosmos and Penstemon. It's great to benefit from gardening experience of forum members. Appreciate the generosity.