Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help Tips: Planting Citrus in AZ

Posted by Brian_AZ Mesa, AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 4:03

Hi y'all... I just moved to Arizona about a year ago. I want to plant a citrus tree in my parent's backyard in Mesa. More specifically, I want to plant a close relative to the lime, which is the Calamansi (a citrus with origins from the Philippines).

Can this be planted in Arizona soil and sun? My parents have a lemon tree which seems to be doing fine. I just don't know if planting in late April or early May is okay? Or should I keep it in the pot and plant it at a later time? Also, any other tips on selecting a location to plant and additives to the soil?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help Tips: Planting Citrus in AZ

No. It's far too frost-sensitive to live here.

You could have it in a container and move it inside, if you had a greenhouse.

o

• Posted by AJBB none (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 19:00

Calamansi can grow here. However, it needs to be grafted onto an appropriate dwarfing rootstock for Arizona, like Flying Dragon and grown close to the house. It is extremely frost sensitive -- it will die at 30 degrees. Unless you can graft and know someone who regularly grafts citrus, this may be quite an undertaking for you.

o

Would that Tropical plants place have them?

o

• Posted by AJBB none (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 14:54

You can try Tropica Mango. I'm sure he could probably also order one since he has a citrus import permit. Calamansi also goes by the term "Calamondin" and he might be more familiar with that term. Again, the most important thing with growing one is that it needs to be planted close to the house and protected in winter.

o

I have a Calamondin tree I planted in January '10. It is the doing well, even survived the awful freeze we had in the winter of 2010-2011.

o

Calamansi could grow and live healthily during summer as long as you just make sure it got water every day. By the way I'm from the Philippines and want to grow calamansi here in luisiana. I wonder if u guys can help me with providing me a seed?

o

All the info above about its cold hardiness are incorrect.

Calamondin is one of the more cold hardy citrus out there. I have one growing in the backyard right now with tons of fruit and flower all over it.

They can take temps all the way down into the low 20's and somewhere I've read that they can even take it into the teens.

o

Not a problem:
http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/forum/topics/free-calamondin-aka-kalamansi-fruits?id=2008067:Topic:399890&page=1

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/photo/very-first-calamondin-harvest?commentId=2008067:Comment:438611&xg_source=activity

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/calamondin.html

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/calamondin.html

edit BTW: I'd consider planting it either in late Sept/early Oct. or late January. Obviously the former would need frost cloth protection in the winter depending upon what microclimate you planted it into. But you get that head start on rooting and growing before summer hits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calamondin aka Calamansi and various spellings

This post was edited by Fascist_Nation on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 16:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here