Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frmmi

Just moved here, What can grow in autumn?

frmmi
13 years ago

I just moved here from Michigan and didn't know that veggies can't be grown in the summer. I thought we had this long season to do whatever we want like in California. So knowing that's not the case..can I start plants inside during the worst heat and plant them out during the monsoon for some early Nov. tomatoes?

Could I do this with watermelon vines? Maybe keeping them potted until labor day? I could give the plants a combination of morning sun and a fluorescent lamp.

Comments (5)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

You can grow veggies here in the summer - just not the same ones that Michiganders grow. Get Mary Irish's book called "Gardening in the Desert" and follow her planting schedules.

Tomatoes planted now will produce until late June or maybe even August if you get lucky. It helps to have them in afternoon shade. They will resume setting fruit when it cools off and keep going until the frost gets them - which may be never if you can shelter them a bit. I harvested tomatoes in January :)

Okra, eggplants, summer squash, tomatillos and chilis produce all summer. Melons grow all summer.

Herbs - Basil, rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme, marjoram ... grow all summer.

Watermelon grows here in the summer, near Yuma, in wide open fields. Plant them as seeds in full sun now.

The "cool season" crops, like broccoli and leafy greens (lettuce, spinach) are started in late summer or early fall and usually grow all winter until they bolt in April. I just ripped out the chard, and most of the lettuce is still thriving.

• mister_gin
    13 years ago

I didn't think much could be grown in the desert when I first moved here. I've since found out that a quite a lot of stuff can be grown throughout different times of the year. For me it's been trial and error to find out what works and what veggies need to grow here. The Maricopa planting calendar (1st link below) was the first thing I got when I started growing here 5 years ago. I've since started to follow the second calendar linked below. I like it's layout plus I believe planting dates on some of the veggies are a little better represented. Watermelon being one of those.

Last July I started some saved watermelon seeds under a shop light in the garage. I didn't expect to plant these as I thought it was too hot. These things grew fast in the heat of the garage, so I decided just to put them out. They were put in full 110+ degree sun with no hardening whatsoever. These things barely wilted and grew really big. I only got two melons but I attribute this to a severe aphid infestation.

I'm one that gives up on my tomato plants over the summer. I'm limited on space and like to move things around. If I want fall toms I will start new seeds or try rooting some from the spring plants.

Vegetable Planting Calendar for Maricopa

Low Desert Planting & Harvest Calendar

• mangledmind
    13 years ago

Hi frmmi,

We grow year round here. Check out the links that mister_gin provided, beat me to it :)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

I too grow anything and everything year round. Some plants I place where they get late day shade, and all does well.

Great advice everyone has given you.

JoJo

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Grow year round. Just can't grow everything year round but where can you?
    Try some eggplant, okra and squash/melons for the summer. They'll grow like weeds. Plant some hot peppers now and you'll have plants that produce like crazy in the fall if you baby them a little through the summer. Baby them a little in the winter and you'll keep on having production all year.

Sponsored