Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Ficus in backyard question.

Posted by reversethong (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 9:28

I've got a small backyard and I'm going to plant a Ficus near my bedroom window for shade and privacy. It will be closer to my cement patio than my house, but how invasive in the Ficus root system? I'd say it's about 6 to 8 feet from the house, but only three from the patio. Will this be ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Ficus in backyard question.

It's invasive ... and the tree is too big for that spot, and dies back with every frost. it's the wrong plant for most of the valley.

Plant something better-mannered, like Palo blanco (Acacia Williardiana) or a desert willow.

o

dang, I really love the look of the Ficus and had my heart set on this. I need something evergreen to block night lights that shine into my bedroom window.

o

How about a Mastic tree (Pistacia lentiscus)? It is evergreen and small enough (15 x 20) for your yard. A fruitless olive (Swan Hill or Wilsonii) would be another suggestion.

You might also consider one of the large shrub/small tree options like Hopseed Bush (Dodonaea viscosa), Arizona Rosewood (Vauquelinia californica), or even Yellow Bells (Tecoma stans), Orange Bells (Tecoma hybrid) or Mexican Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia mexicana).

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert

o

Thanks for the suggestions. All the trees I like are just too big. I like the looks of the chinese pistache from photos.I'm from California and desert trees are still something I'm getting use too. I have a Palo Verde in the front yard, but I don't really want the desert look in the back.

Ficus, Oak and Elm are the trees I see most often that have the look I want.

o

Have you considered brazillian pepper? it's available at most nurseries, is evergreen and lush, does quite well in our climate. I am like you - I have the desert xeriscape in the front and want/have the lush oasis in the backyard... I would not go with any of the desert trees if you are looking for something lush green.... ficus is really a big gamble outside of central phoenix/tempe areas... it will not survive temps below 32F.... a few years back we had a devastating freeze which took out many of the ficus throughout the valley except in the warmer "core" of the city.... keep in mind that kind of a freeze happens maybe once in 50 to 100 years out there and you could go with a small ficus and be ok for decades... it's just a gamble.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here