Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xica_da_silva

update on my garden

xica_da_silva
14 years ago

Some of you may recall I had posted at various points during the past 6 months, usually worried about one of my fledgling plants or trees, since I am a new home-owner and a total novice when it comes to gardening. But I love it and am really quite obsessed with my plants! The best thing is when I'm working in the yard and neighbors tell me how pretty it looks...although I would enjoy it for myself even if they didn't!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave advice (and soothing words!) because my flowers and trees look fantastic right now! Here's an update on my garden:

Madagascar Palm: Came back from dormancy and is looking gorgeous with it's bright green leaves.

Pansies: Still going strong as I've been diligent in pruning.

Foxgloves: Finally are blooming strong, after a long, rough, winter in the shade. Mine are white and pink with little speckles inside. The way they grow those stalks so high out of nowhere is truly incredible.

Dusty Millers: They are almost getting a bit too large! Stems w/ flowers are about to come out.

Coral Bells: Stems are growing tall and getting ready to come out w/ flowers.

Marguerite Daisies: They're beautiful but a bit too enthusiastic! I feel like they're taking over. Will they die in the summer heat?

Flowering Kale: I had to replace these after they flowered because they seemed to die out naturally with all the wind we had a while back (they became so top heavy!)But they were pretty while they lasted.

Celosia: These replaced the flowering Kale...hope they survive the summer heat!

Chinese Pistache tree: finally came back to life after a long dormant winter. Looks healthy with lots of new branches, buds, etc.

Purple Leaf Plum: Oh, how I love this tree! I don't care if it's supposed to only last for 10 or so years tops. It's worth every penny spent to see it's burgundy/red leaves in the sunset.

African Boxwood shrubs: Doing surprisingly well for now, they're in a nice shady area...I just hope they can survive the heat.

English Ivy: this one's in a container outside, in shade most of the day. I've dubbed her 'Cher'. Doing great for now but I wonder if at some point I'll need to take her inside once it gets too hot?

Anyhow, sorry so long-winded, but I think one must appreciate the Spring because in the Summer, it's all just Oleanders and Lantana!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company