Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hellbound

how's everyones veggie gardens doing.

hellbound
10 years ago

it's been a wacky spring had late freeze early extreme heat and now wind storms so i'm just wondering how everyone else is doing?

Comments (12)

• greendesert
    10 years ago

I got a rather late start I guess. I didn't even realize how late it is. I have eggplants in the ground (Diamond and Rotonda Bianca Sfumata di Rosa), Peppers (Gogosari from Romania) and one Tomato (Kellog's Breakfast). Just planted 5 moringa trees in the ground, managed to kill one in the process, they're terribly brittle and sensitive.
    My mellons and zuke type plants are still in little pots, started from seed, they don't seem to be in a hurry to grow. I haven't started my Armenian cucumbers yet because they hate the cool nights. I have the following : Charentais cantaloupe, Old Tennessee muskmelon, Trombetta Lunga di Albenga squash and I started some White seeded watson watermelons that didn't make it and i need to reseed. In front of my house I have lovage that I planted in the fall, it survived the winter, looks great, Also several varieties of basil from last year made it through the winter and are flowering now. Canna lilies are gorgeous, Trovita orange is covered with hundreds of tiny fruit and flowers, little pomegranate tree has a few flowers, i'm hoping for more hmm... I guess things are not so bad :)

• greendesert
    10 years ago

hmm... what else... snowpeas are producing but they didn't like the warm spell, and the pods just don't taste so good.
    I still have stinging nettle growing,
    Grapevines are growing like gangbusters, filled with grapes. The wind broke several nice branches with grape clusters on them. bummer.
    Mint is happy, dill is harvested, lettuce was starting to bolt, so I harvested it all, and let the chickens work that part of the garden to make it ready for the next thing: Okra... I'm getting ready to plant Cow Horn Okra, so that's exciting, we love okra.
    My peach tree leafed out but no flowers or fruit. :(
    Mulberry tree, producing for the first time, looks promissing, can't wait to sample them, but the birds are eyeballing them, and i'm eyballing the birds through the scope on my pellet gun.
    Usually about this time I end up having to deal with a bout of milldew on the grapes, but no problems yet. The whiteflies started attacking one of my grapes but they seem to have slowed down just for a bit. I need to blast them to hell with poisons, nasty buggers. Nothing else seems to work.

• thisisme
    10 years ago

All the peppers and tomatoes froze to the ground. Half of the peppers came back. All the tomatoes died.

I'm cutting way back this year. I started very late too. Planted tomatoes and peppers about three weeks ago. Planted zucchini three days ago. The Artichokes I planted last year are going strong. One of the four Artichokes died. The rest have produced stalks and have little artichokes on them.

• hellbound
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i planted tomatoes and chiles last weekend in feb and most of them froze then i replanted 2 weeks later and i looks like most othe the ones i thought were goners have come back to life so i have double everything might make for cramped quarters in the fall but i can bring myself to cull the survivors

• phxlynne
    10 years ago

in the vegetable garden, herbs that survived the winter include dill, sage, oregano and chives. My lettuce is also bolting, I'll cut it this weekend. I planted peppers (jalapeno and poblano) basil, lemon verbena, and tomatoes: Black Cherry, Husky Cherry, and SunSugar cherry tomatoes, and Black Prince, Mr. Stripey, Ace 55, Red Beefsteak and Pink Brandywine heirlooms. Once I cut the lettuce, I'll add okra and tomatillos in that space.

• centurion_
    10 years ago

Tomatoes and squash have been in the ground for a couple of weeks here. I did plant one early girl 6 weeks ago, but here in the north/central hinterlands I've had to cover the tomatoes at night about half the time. Next year I will wait a little longer to plant outdoors.

As for the wind we had a couple days ago, that was the first time I've ever covered tomatoes in the daytime. I didn't want to risk having them break off and die, so cover them I did. No losses to date.

Figs are begining to break dormancy. The desert king(?) thisisme gave me has 40+ brebas on it allready, and more are popping up all the time. VDB, except for one branch, has apparantly died to the ground, as have five of my other trees. All are sprouting new growth from the roots however.

Mulberry trees, which we are trying out for the first time, are putting on new growth, as are the blackberries.

Things are shaping up pretty good so far.

• thisisme
    10 years ago

Centurion Got to love those DK brebas. Amazing taste and texture. Of course Janice Seedless is supposed to be better based on DWN taste tests. Really hoping it's not just a lot of hype for one of their patented varieties. I will let you know.

Like some of the others. I used to always want to plant as soon as possible. But after having lost plants due to a late season freeze I find myself holding back a bit. We have a long growing season here anyway. No need to be in a hurry.

• nickw252
    10 years ago

Spicy banana pepper

• nickw252
    10 years ago

Tomatoes

• centurion_
    10 years ago

Too soon to plant tomatoes up here in the Verde Valley.
    But I did it anyway. The black plastic keeps the ground warm. All that other stuff is to keep the plastic in place during our wind storms, or to cover the tomatoes at night.

• centurion_
    10 years ago

Replacements warming up in the bull pen. Just in case the others get blown into the next county.

• phxlynne
    10 years ago

I planted mid-March and just checked on the tomatoes today. All flowering, and three with fruit - Black Prince, mismarked Black Cherry (they look oval), and Husky Cherry:

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm