Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
user_unknown_gw

Ponytail Palm

user_unknown
10 years ago

Has any one grown a ponytail palm outdoors in the Phoenix area?
I have seen them flourishing in San Diego and Florida, just wondering if they would survive in the ground here.
I love the way a full grown multi-arm specimen looks.
I have many different Micro-climates on my flood irrigated lot, they dont need much water, I can provided shade, just need to know if they can tolerate any freeze, I lost over 50 mature Hibiscus plants a few years ago and dont want to go through that again.

Comments (20)

• HaroldinGlendale
    10 years ago

Absolutely. I planted one in the ground several years ago too after seeing those in San Deigo. It was from a 2" pot and I told it to grow or go. Never give it any frost protection, and gets major afternoon sun.

• HaroldinGlendale
    10 years ago

I can see I need to trim away some dead leaves.
    Should mention this is west Glendale near the stadium.
    Here's another view from the top. Not bad from a 2" pot.

• kevininphx
    10 years ago

they do fine outdoors here in Phx as long as you provide SOME break from sun - I have several in pots!

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

Nice one, Harold! Thanks for posting it! I agree with Harold and Kevin that yes, they can be grown outside in most of the Phoenix metro area. Afternoon shade helps, especially if they're in pots. Let us know if you get one and how it does for you. Nice gasteria blooms too, Harold! Happy gardening all!

• Michael O (USDA Z9 San Tan Valley AZ)
    9 years ago

I just got one as a gift in a 6" pot. It looks like it has pebbels glued on top of the soil. Can I take it out and repot in a bigger pot for the patio?

Also, what kind of potting mix should I use?

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    9 years ago

Definitely re-pot it but don't go too far up in size. In my experience, plants like their roots to feel cozy but not cramped. Any standard potting soil should be fine. I like Roots Organics but it can be hard to find. I buy it at a hydroponics store. Happy Frog is good too. Summer Winds has some less expensive stuff that I've mixed with RO when doing a lot of repotting. I'm not a fan of Miracle Grow but many folks are, it's a subjective thing. Good luck. I love ponytail palms.

9 years ago

Thanks Mary, I have some MG potting mix and was thinking to add some perlite, you think that would be OK?

Also, what size pot would you recomend, maybe 10". Should I stay with a shallower pot or a regular size would be OK?

9 years ago

Adding perlite should be okay, just some though, not a bunch. MG has perlite already I think. You want well drained soil but when you water, some water does need to be retained in the soil for a bit.

I would not do a shallow pot for ponytail palms. Just don't go to a 5-gallon size, for example. Even a one gallon would be okay. The plant may eventually grow into a 5-gallon size but pot up in stages.

9 years ago

Thanks May, I am going to Bakers Nursery later today and pick up a nice pot.

9 years ago

My wife had an extra pot and I think it is perfect. What do you think?

9 years ago

One more pic.
    Love the look of the Ponytail, I may start looking to add one or two more...

9 years ago

Gorgeous! That was in a six inch pot?? Ye gads. Be careful not to over water it, they store water in that thick trunk. I have several, will see if I can get a good picture. I put them all (3 or 4) in the ground within the last year.

This pic is a bit dark but you can see a couple of them.

9 years ago

Vey nice Mary, all the plants look good, specialy the Ponytail...:-)

Good point about water, I tend to overwater my container plants, but I am getting better. What do you think, maybe once a week or even less?

9 years ago

Buy a Moisture Meter at HD or Ace. Best way to monitor soil moisture. I use mine daily and they are cheap. This one says $7.14.

9 years ago

Good idea, I will look for one.

Thanks

9 years ago

Hi Kimmey,

That is very good news, I was a bit nervous about mine since the label said "Indoors Only Plant". Wow yours looks awesome, I can not believe how big it is.

Mary, I was able to find a Moisture Meter at Walmart, it looks like yours but mine is digital, I guess everything is digital now.
    I just need to figure out how to read it and when I need to water my plants. I am sure there is a chart or some info on the web.

Thanks again Mary, and Kimmey, I feel a lot more confident now.

9 years ago

I don't think you can read those digital ones in the sun. The others are out there, just keep looking - try HD. They had both last time I needed one.

9 years ago

I will try it today in the sun and see how it does, I found one like yours on Amazon.com

• trashycat
    7 years ago

I have had two pony tail palms located on my western covered patio near the edge for over 10 yrs. They both do great but the NW one seems to curve more towards the sun. I just transplanted it in the ground last week on NE slightly under tree. Hopefully will make it. The other one I am going to move to a bit more sunny location.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths