Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Sun

Posted by erro15 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 12:37

Hi All,

I'm new to GardenWeb and this is only my second year of gardening...I moved to a rented house in central Phoenix last year and we built a raised bed garden to go in the backyard. Last year we grew quite a few pepper and tomato plants and had the most success with serrano peppers, eggplant, and cherry tomatoes. The raised bed is in a spot exposed to morning and afternoon sun, which is my guess as to why everything else didn't thrive. I was also horrifically attacked by a squad of mosquitoes every time I went out to water, so that may have also had something to do with it...

This year I spent my garden funds on a mixture of vegetables/fruits as well as flowers, since I was lacking some color in the yard. Since I'm still a newbie at gardening, I was wondering what exactly is considered "morning sun" so I can help the plants grow to their best potential. I'm assuming it's from dawn until noon (or possibly earlier?).

I'm planning on splitting the raised bed into two separate sections, with one section having some shade cloth to protect plants from afternoon sun, and the other section being fully exposed all day. If anyone has any suggestions to changes I should make to this plan, please let me know! I'm here to learn :)

Shaded section: Strawberries (June bearing and everbearing), wild cherry tomatoes, Longfellow cucumber, onions

Full sun section: Crimson sweet watermelon & Balls' zucchini

I also bought a large variety of herbs to experiment with - cilantro, Italian oregano, basil, chocolate mint, rosemary, and curled parsley. My rosemary from last year did very well, but if anyone has any special Arizona suggestions for the rest of these herbs, please let me know. I was planning on potting them and setting them in a slightly sunny but cooler location.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to learning and participating in this forum from here on out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Sun

erro15 I think you have a good plan. Keep in mind though that watermelons can grow far and wide. If you don't have a lot of room you may want to go with a short vined watermelon like Yellow Doll or Bush Sugar Baby. You also should know that chocolate mint can be quite invasive. I have heard many a gardener complain about it wanting to take over their garden and wanting to know how to kill it. You may want to grow that one in a pot.

When I'm looking for vegetable varieties for my garden the first place I look is Cornell University's Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners. Then I check in the Vegetable forum here, if I have any other questions I ask in the Arizona forum. Keep in mind that if you join Cornell's site it becomes much more functional and joining is free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell University's Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners

o

Oh and yes Morning Sun is daybreak till noon or a little after. Like if they were planted on the east side of a wall that blocks the sun after noon.

o

Thanks thisisme! I did put all of my herbs in pots and gave the watermelon a lot of room. Crossing my fingers for everything....Thanks for the Cornell advice, too. I will definitely give that a look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here