Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nimbley_gw

Grass problem in garden

nimbley
12 years ago

Last spring when I prepared my garden I did the usual amendments; compost, organic soil, and composted manure. Soon after planting I had an invasion of straw grass that completely choked out the garden. I have been trying to eradicate this stuff ever since with little luck. I have doused it with white vinegar, burned it out, tilled it up and removed the roots, covered with black plastic, you name it. I have avoided using any chemicals in the garden plot and over the years I have actually lowered the soil PH to about 6. The plot is medium sized about 20x30 and the labor of hand removing this grass is just too much. I have made progress in the last few months by covering and allowing the grass to sprout and burn, then till and rake out the roots and repeat, but it continues to come back. I am hesitant to replant until I eradicate this grass since I know it will come back as soon as it gets a chance. Does anybody have any ideas? I have learned my lesson, no manure until I have composted it myself. Just because the bag says composted, does not mean it will not be full of weeds and grass seed. I would love to be able to plant by fall, but it just doesn't seem possible at this point.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert