Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs as landscape plants

Posted by reversethong (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 13:09

I want to use some herbs as ground cover and landscape for my yard. What plants have people had luck with as drought tolerant, sun tolerant perennials for the valley?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs as landscape plants

If you mean 'culinary' when using the term herb and not herbaceous plants which means: stems and leave dye and the new plant emerges from the root in the spring, then the answer is yes. Most are heat and drought tolerant but not very many I would classify as ground cover, less than 6 ins. high.

o

Rosemary grows well in heat with little water. Mine has grown into a hedge. I don't know of any herbs that would fit the ground cover definition. I have luck with basil and dill

o

I should have been more clear. I want to plant medicincal and culinary herbs in the ground as landscape accents with rocks. I'm curious what will do well in the ground and in full sun. I hoping the group here can help me come up with some plants that would work. I'm considering Echinacea, Thyme, Lovage, English Lavender, Oregano, Catnip. Any good ideas or plants that won't work will be appreciated. I also heard that Arizona has a variety of hot chilli pepper that grow wild. Anyone know what that is?

I'm look for perennials.

o

In the four corners area of CO we had several varieties of lavender that did well with only occasional supplemental watering. Also Catmint French Taragon and of course Russian Sage.
There are procumbent rosemarys and they are attractive and durable ( also safe from javelena and bunnies) but, rather slow growing.
I'll be watching this post as I have hopes of a similar project up towards Prescott.

o

rosemary does really well here, there's an upright form and trailing variety - both grow quick, the latter grows into a hedge if you let it.... both have the typical aromatic qualities one would expect from rosemary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here