Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problems with lemon tree

Posted by romymart AZ (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 13:24

Hello,

I have a lemon tree that I planted in ground one year ago.
This past winter it suffered from frost damage (all the leaves ended up curling and drying out). When it started warming up, i cut back the branches that seemed to be dead and the tree started sprouting nicely.

I fertilized it in March with Miracle Gro granules for citrus.

Now I am noticing that it has some yellow leaves, mostly the new growth is very small and yellow...it looks like the leaves are completely yellow with no green veins...

it is also losing a few leaves, but from what I see in the ground it looks like the leaves that fell are green.
We had very strong winds last week, so I don't know if the leaves in the ground are due to that or other causes..

But another thing that is worrying me is that it looks like some branches that used to have leaves, now are dying back....

what could this be?

Unfortunately the tree is in the same dripping line as my queen palms (which need frequent watering), so I can't adjust the watering too much...right now it is getting watered every 4 days with 16 gallons of water

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problems with lemon tree

It probably doesn't help that you have a rock mulch.

o

why is the rock bad?
i had to put rocks, because it is the only way to stop my dog from digging there :(

o

Rocks create heat. Clear out from around the base to the drip line of the tree. That way you can see if it dry or needs water. Put some chicken wire w/stakes or something simular around the tree to keep the dog out. I don't know if it is over watering or needs iron.

o

thank you! i'll try and move the rocks :)

o

• Posted by campv Camp Verde (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 19:23

Are the leaves that are yellow new? Citrus likes iron and with our soil you need to give it iron to get dark green shiny leaves. The season has just started and I have already gone through one bag of ironite. FYI -Put a 1/2 cp or so of ironite in a a large bucket (3/5gl) fill with water/stir and let sit overnight. Stir again, pour it @ the base and drip line of the tree. Ironite takes a long time to break down, this is quicker.

o

thanks campv!

the leaves that are yellowing are mostly new ones, even if today I noticed that older ones are yellowing too...

i will try with the iron!

o

It still could be too much water. I would pull back the rocks add the iron and take the tree off the drip for a while. If it needs water use the hose. Dig down a few inches or use a small dia. stick or rebar to see how far down the soil is soft and wet. If needed turn the water on so it just barely comes out (dribble) for about 3hrs maybe 4. Don't know how many times per week you will figure it out. When it gets real hot and the leaves are no longer yellow maybe put it back on the drip. I would also consider mulching around it . Everthing in gardening is trial and error. And boy have I had few of those.

o

I should have attached this link to my message. And for completeness you might as well have this one too:
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/diseases/az1154.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Diagnosing Home Citrus Problems

o

thank you Campv and Fascist_Nation,

I will try all that! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here