Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raimeiken1

Worried about my new Plum tree

ra
12 years ago

I planted a Santa Rosa Plum, I believe back in January or February and the tree is still dormant. The Pomegranate tree and peach tree I planted around the same time are already full of leaves.

Is this normal? I hope the plum tree isn't dead :\

Comments (9)

• thisisme
    12 years ago

raimeiken thats not unusual. I have two trees that have been in the ground more than a year that just started breaking dormancy last week. I was starting to wonder a little about them and now all is well. I would wait another 6-8 weeks before giving up on it.

• HU-17497
    12 years ago

i would have to agree aslong as the limbs are still somewhat plyably (sp.) just give it time there kindof picky for the first couple of years

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the insight :)

The limbs don't feel brittle to me. I guess I'm just impatient LOL

• nimbley
    12 years ago

Strange, my Santa Rosa was one of the first trees to pop this spring. It has grown about a foot since and covered in thumb sized green plums. Scratch the bark back a little and see if it's green underneath.

• sdcatgirl
    12 years ago

I thought mine was dead too, it just started blooming this week. I'm like you...impatient.

• ra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I snapped one of the lower small branch and it's green inside still, so yes it's alive, but not awake yet :\

• agility_mom
    12 years ago

I am having the exact problem that you are. I check these trees every couple of days and still nothing.
    I planted several trees in January and February. My mulberry, apple, 4 cherry trees, Santa Rosa plum and fig trees have all leafed out. However, my Red Baron peach, Sherwood Jujube, Choctaw pecan, Spice Zee nectaplum, multi-grafted pluot and my multi-grafted low chill pear tree are still dormant. Although, my pear tree did leaf out but after those high, dry winds that we had, they dried up and have not put forth new leaves. And, the same thing happened to my 2 apricot trees (that were planted last year). They leafed out and I lost the leaves to the wind.
    Everything is still green on the trunks except, I think that my Spice Zee is fading and the trunk is getting less green and pliable.
    I wish they would have gotten leaves before the 100 degree weather got here.

• ra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok it's now May and the plum is STILL dormant! and it's not dead either. It's still very green inside. I don't know what to do LOL

Same thing is happening to my Sugar apple. It's still dormant but still green in the inside. :(

• newtoucan
    10 years ago

A what happened to your plum tree?