Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haname

Attracting Beneficial Insects

Haname
16 years ago

Hi Phoenix Gardeners :)

This past December my dog died. The back yard pretty much belonged to him, but now I would like to make a nice garden for us. One plan I have is to plant a climbing rose this fall, which I know will probably be attacked by aphids in the spring. I would like to attract lacewings and ladybugs to my yard so they can keep the aphids under control.

My question to you all is, what do you do in your gardens to attract these and other beneficial insects into your yard?

Comments (7)

• aztreelvr
    16 years ago

A great climbing rose it the Lady Banks. It is thornless and comes in white or yellow. Be careful though, I've seen some sold as 'Lady Banks' that have thorns and are obviously a hybrid. Another thornless climber is Zephirine Drouhin. This is an antique rose with beautiful fragrant, pink flowers. The heritage roses are tough and resistant to pests and diseases. Plus this one blooms in the spring and fall.

As far as attracting beneficials, resist the temptation to use pesticides. These kill the good bugs as well as bad bugs. If you want ladybugs, lacewings, syrphid flies, praying mantids, etc. you'll have to let a few aphids live in your yard. Use the "if you plant it, they will come" philosophy.

Remember there are some products that are fairly specific for insect pests. For example, bacillus thuringiensis, otherwise known as Bt will kill only caterpillars.

Here's a link to information on beneficial insects http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/t-tips/bugs/benefcl.htm

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zephirine Drouhin

• ankraras
    16 years ago

Sorry for your loss!

We are so lucky that we have a year around population of Hummers here. I often sit out watching them hovering from flower to flower for the nectar. I just love watching them and if I am lucky maybe taking a picture or two.

One afternoon, I turned on the sprinkler to water our little patch of grass. There was this Hummer right there under the running water and she decided that it was her private bath domain. She would fly around then back into the water, her wings fluttering and then splashing around in the water. It was one opportune moment even though I never did catch a good clear picture of her. Duh! I did have a wonderful afternoon experience with Hummingbirds and that made a very pleasing day for me.

With Green lacewings we ordered a batch from an internet source and since then our yard is abundant with these delightful creatures.

{{gwi:4590}}

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

I grow a couple hundred roses organically and the lacewings and hummers are plentiful. Lady bugs, not so much, even though I've probably bought several hundred through the years. They stick around long enough to chow through the basil then disappear into the mums or take off for destination unknown.

Hummingbirds are attracted to red or bright pink, like pine trees and other plants that can provide nesting and hiding places. I often find them perched in my taller roses or using them for hide-and-seek.

The best way to attract beneficials is to not use chemical controls on their food source. It may take a year or two for the good bugs to find their way to your garden, but if you're spraying pesticides or using systemics, they'll pass on by.

• Haname
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the replies :)

I haven't used any pest controls on anything, but did foolishly cut out one branch of an oleander that was badly infested with aphids. Now I realize that I should have left it as is to attract their predators.

How do the hummers perform as beneficials? I did plant some scarlet runner beans to attract them, but didn't even think of them specifically as a beneficial. Now that I think of it though, I guess they do have to feed something to their young. I thought they collected spiders. The aforementioned oleander was a nesting site for hummers a couple of years ago.

• dirtboy58
    14 years ago

I want to create more of a native ecosystem attracting the beneficial insects too. For here in Colorado (which may give you some ideas for your area) go here:

http://coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/PHC/benefici.htm

Good luck!

• thisisme
    14 years ago

I don't know how to attract them but I purchased 1,500 Green Lacewing larva four years ago. Since then they have been back in large numbers every year eating aphids and white flies.

• greenlust
    14 years ago

I was reading this thread...my lady banks rose has big thorns and hasnt grown much in 3 years didnt have any flowers yet..probabaly its a hybrid that doesnt grow fast like the regular one? I put in a 1 gallon size and its just 2 foot tall after 3 years. Last year I saw box stores selling live ladybugs and praying mantis eggs/larve. I have never seen a ladybug or praying mantis in my yard, seen green lacewings.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living