Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ozzz_gw

Raised beds in Flagstaff

ozzz
11 years ago

I have a large amount of beds Ive recently dug out, a 12'x12' vegetable bed and about 4 or 5 4'x8' beds for fruiting shrubs.

Im trying to figure out how best to fill the beds. I have access to as much semi-composted horse manure for free as I want and I have tilled in 3 wheelburrows full into the bottom 8" of the 12'x12' bed leaving about 8" to fill up still. I was thinking I might pick up some topsoil from the landscape connection but after asking them what was in it, it sounds like its just soil with manure mixed in ... which I already have for free lol.

For the record, when digging out the beds the soil seems ok, it is a little clay-ish but theres a fair amount of worms in the soil. Im actually in Bellemont outside of Flag... and Ive heard the soil isnt quite as bad here because of the runoff from the mountains.

Any suggestions on how to fill these beds? Maybe I should just put the dirt I dug out of the bed back in and mix throughouly with the horse manure I can get? Or would it be worth my time to pick up the "topsoil" mix?

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia