Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azbookworm

Birds ate my Broccoli!

azbookworm
13 years ago

I know you can't do anything. In fact, I can't do anything. BUT just thought I would share. Finches found my broccoli. Had a couple small heads still. I saw on the food channel they call them 'broccolini". Thought they would make a good snack until the birds found them. Ate the heads and nibbled at the flowers and the remaining seed pods. ( I had let some go to seed ). ugh!

Guess it is time to pull them out after all. ;-)

Just hope they don't go after the rest of my garden. OR I will get angry!! Circle of life in the back yard!

Comments (6)

• grant_in_arizona
    13 years ago

Sorry for the damage. Ugh. Some years I get a lot of bird "damage" too. Those cute little red faced house finches (not nasty English house sparrows), often flit around and carefully pluck the blooms off of my penstemon plants, grrrr. They're actually mauling some desert marigolds this week, LOL.

I could put up netting or hoop houses with fleece covers etc over the penstemons and veggies, but I don't.

Good luck with the rest of your veggies. I hope you get most of the next crop, whatever it is. :)

Take care,
    Grant

• Pam Honeycutt
    13 years ago

Try going to Walmart or someplace that sells fabric and get some nylon to wrap the heads in, that way the birds can't get to them, you can just wrap it over loosely and tie underneath the head leaving a little growing room. I'm also going to try this with my grapes and a few other things the birds just won't leave alone.

Pam

• rtl850nomore
    13 years ago

Also go to the shoe store and grab a handfull of those footies they supply for people without socks to try on shoes. Slip them over what ever you don't want the birds to bother. I try and keep the opening to the bottom just in case a smarty pants bird comes along. I use these for my peaches and tomatoes. Kinda looks like a redneck garden but I get the harvest not the birds. I wash them all up at season end and reuse them the next spring.

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

This is why I have cement block, wire and net covered raised beds. If I didn't, between the birds, squirrels and rabbits, I wouldn't get anything.

Good suggestions for protecting fruit. I was wondering how I would keep the birds from getting my grapes and other fruits.
    I don't mind sharing, but I do want some for my family too.

• luvkuku
    13 years ago

Fruit tree netting is the only thing that has worked for me in the past, once a group of birds has decided my garden is there for the harvest. Usually you wont have to keep covering it after a month or so, when those particular birds have moved on. Plus, all the veggies will be a different growth stage. I am covering the strawberries now, as the bright red really brings in the birds but will probably not need to keep covering it once the strawberries fade.

• crista
    13 years ago

rtl850 that trick with the "footies" has saved my tomato harvest. I'd had some Early Girl tomatoes that I'd covered and babied through the freezes only to lose them to birds. Now I use the footies and I am the one eating the tomatoes, not the birds! Wouldn't have thought to do this for broccoli as well.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions