Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The dangers of AZ Organic Gardening!

Posted by lazygardens PhxAZ%3A Sunset 13 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 16:22

OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW!

My organic pest control squad just STUNG ME! I was harvesting mint and one of the wasps (Polistes arizona, probably) that was hunting caterpillars must have been crawling around on the mint leaves ... OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW! OW!

Way worse than honey bee stings.

NOTE: Ice and time will fix it, but right now I want to pound my head on the wall it hurts so bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The dangers of AZ Organic Gardening!

I feel for your pain but hope I don't meet the same fate. However I believe it will just bee a matter of time. There are bees and wasps and hornets and bumble bees everywhere in my yard.

o

I just had a hole cut into my outside wall by the front door because I noticed some bees buzzing around. I was reluctant to bother them since they're so important for our veggies, but was worried that someone might be hurt coming to the front door.

Well, after much debate with hubby, we called an exterminator and he discovered there were ELEVEN honeycombs and over 7000 bees! Been there about 3 weeks. They were busy!

I'm sadden by their demise, but it was necessary.

o

Sorry about the sting! I've been stung by bees before but never a wasp--they sure LOOK like their sting would hurt more than a bee sting. Hope you recover quickly. Ugh.

They are amazing predators of caterpillars though, aren't they? Feel better soon!

Grant

o

Yeow! DH got stung on the hand last summer and I remember how painful it was for him. This is a really good reminder to me to wear gloves outside.

o

Guess they just don't like me... the bees love the roses and lavender and probably would sting me if I forgot to look inside the blooms before sticking my nose in there, lol. The yellow jackets like to ride the bleach thingy in the pool. Having grown up on a midwest farm, I've had stings from both. Not sure which hurts worse. Rosemary and Xylosma seem to attract hoards of bees so neither one is allowed in my garden. I prefer a manageable number. So sorry for your pain. A baking soda paste helps a little and so does that gum numb stuff you use on a teething baby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here