Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

Anyone grow coffee plant?

newtoucan
14 years ago

Has anyone grown coffee plant in the shade here in Phoenix?

Comments (11)

• mangledmind
    14 years ago

Hello toucan,

I have thought about planting one, but have other projects in the works. It would be interesting to grow our own coffee here in the valley.

You can probably get more info from this company:

DOWNTOWN PHOENIX
    Tropica Mango Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery
    4302 S CENTRAL AVE, PHOENIX AZ 85040
    OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK
    Monday-Friday 9am - 5 pm Saturday 8am - 5pm, Sunday 12n-5p
    NORTHWEST CORNER OF CENTRAL/BROADWAY DIRECTLY ACROSS
    FROM BANK OF AMERICA AND THE BROADWAY SHOPPING CENTER'S El RANCHO MARKET
    1.5 MILES SOUTH OF I-17 ON THE WEST SIDE OF CENTRAL JUST NORTH OF BROADWAY

EAST VALLEY
    Tropica Mango "Too" Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery
    10520 E Apache Trail (Main St.) Apache Junction, AZ 85120
    OPEN TUESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY 10AM-4PM (closed between 1:45-230)
    SATURDAY 10AM-4PM
    Corner of Apache Trail and Cheshire Next to Murphy's Fruniture
    1 Mile East of Loop 202 On North Side of Apache Trail
    Between Crismon and Signal Butte

602-576-6948

Coffee Trees (special order only, allow 2 months min.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropica Mango Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery

• kojac_phx
    14 years ago

I too looked into it, and decided it wasn't worth the effort for the expected output. I grow a lot of tropicals/exotics, but looking into growing Kona from seed, it's 4 years wait for 1 lb. of coffee. Others produce in 3 years, but aren't as heavy bearing. At $6.50/lb for good beans from the Asian market, I passed, but I've had good luck with things most nurseries will tell you don't grow in Arizona. Keep us up to date if you try it out....

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I will definitely visit Tropica Mango within the next month. I'd like to grow it just because it looks pretty for flower arrangements and it would be nice to have in my shady porch. If I get coffee, that would be great.

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

Not enough humidity

• houstonpat
    13 years ago

I grow coffee in Houston and tend to agree with phxplantaddict. More important than humidity is constant supply of "good" water and excellent drainage. It may work indoors. Quite slow to germinate seeds. Plant is beautiful. Leaves may be steeped to make a tea.

• phxplantaddict
    13 years ago

The earlier post had got me curious how they would do here in the heat and surprisingly have done very well. My yard has grass and lots of other plants so I get a little extra moisture. Sun till 11am

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

The Arabica has also done well. Water with RO water and liquid seaweed and looks real nice.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got one at Trader Joes, but it did quickly after getting it back. I kept it indoors with lots of sun exposure, but must have done something wrong.

• Sherlyn
    6 years ago

newtoucan I live in Costa Rica and I live in the coffee highlands. One thing that is important is shade trees for the coffee. Maybe your coffee had too much sun.

• iandyaz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is kinda old but I've tried to grow coffee a few times, and it's very hard if you try to keep them outdoors, especially in the summer. I'm not sure what variety I was growing as it was just called "coffee" in the store, and I made clones of it to try different conditions.

That particular variety needs to avoid all direct sunlight and never dry out, while staying not too wet. They need fast draining soil, and I found it was pretty much impossible in the ground with the soil I have. I kept them in containers. It becomes more of a challenge the bigger they get, and the roots want a bigger space with perfect soil and water conditions.