Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow coffee plant?

Posted by toucan 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 16:32

Has anyone grown coffee plant in the shade here in Phoenix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow coffee plant?

Hello toucan,

I have thought about planting one, but have other projects in the works. It would be interesting to grow our own coffee here in the valley.

You can probably get more info from this company:

DOWNTOWN PHOENIX
Tropica Mango Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery
4302 S CENTRAL AVE, PHOENIX AZ 85040
OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK
Monday-Friday 9am - 5 pm Saturday 8am - 5pm, Sunday 12n-5p
NORTHWEST CORNER OF CENTRAL/BROADWAY DIRECTLY ACROSS
FROM BANK OF AMERICA AND THE BROADWAY SHOPPING CENTER'S El RANCHO MARKET
1.5 MILES SOUTH OF I-17 ON THE WEST SIDE OF CENTRAL JUST NORTH OF BROADWAY

EAST VALLEY
Tropica Mango "Too" Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery
10520 E Apache Trail (Main St.) Apache Junction, AZ 85120
OPEN TUESDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY 10AM-4PM (closed between 1:45-230)
SATURDAY 10AM-4PM
Corner of Apache Trail and Cheshire Next to Murphy's Fruniture
1 Mile East of Loop 202 On North Side of Apache Trail
Between Crismon and Signal Butte

602-576-6948

Coffee Trees (special order only, allow 2 months min.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropica Mango Rare & Exotic Fruit Nursery

o

I too looked into it, and decided it wasn't worth the effort for the expected output. I grow a lot of tropicals/exotics, but looking into growing Kona from seed, it's 4 years wait for 1 lb. of coffee. Others produce in 3 years, but aren't as heavy bearing. At $6.50/lb for good beans from the Asian market, I passed, but I've had good luck with things most nurseries will tell you don't grow in Arizona. Keep us up to date if you try it out....

o

Thanks. I will definitely visit Tropica Mango within the next month. I'd like to grow it just because it looks pretty for flower arrangements and it would be nice to have in my shady porch. If I get coffee, that would be great.

o

Not enough humidity

o

I grow coffee in Houston and tend to agree with phxplantaddict. More important than humidity is constant supply of "good" water and excellent drainage. It may work indoors. Quite slow to germinate seeds. Plant is beautiful. Leaves may be steeped to make a tea.

o

I now have Kona coffee growing in my yard, morning sun only. Ive got a few extra 5 gallon if anyone interested azleatherking@aol.com

o

The earlier post had got me curious how they would do here in the heat and surprisingly have done very well. My yard has grass and lots of other plants so I get a little extra moisture. Sun till 11am

o

The Arabica has also done well. Water with RO water and liquid seaweed and looks real nice.

o

I got one at Trader Joes, but it did quickly after getting it back. I kept it indoors with lots of sun exposure, but must have done something wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here