Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craigo1_gw

Best Lemon for Hedge in Scottsdale?

CraigO1
12 years ago

I am interested in planting lemon trees as a hedge around the perimeter of a small walled patio. The walls are 6 feet tall--ideally the hedge would go above 6 feet to also screen out a nearby carport. My question is which lemon is best to use? I'm considering Meyer Improved, Pink Lemonade Eureka, and Lisbon. I find a lot of contradictory information online about tree height, especially with Meyer. I don't want to plant only to find out the tree is too small to effectively screen, nor do I want a huge tree that is inappropriate for the small space.

Fast growing is a plus. Cold sensitivity is probably secondary as the spot is close to the house in a densely populated area (heat island) not out in the foothills. Also, what distance apart is best to plant? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• greendesert
    12 years ago

well, the rootstock has a pretty major effect on the size of the tree, so it's not so much the variety. You could have a standard Meyer lemon, or a dwarf Meyer lemon and the only difference is what rootstock it is on.
    From what I know, a Lisbon lemon will probably be the biggest one, especially if it's on it's own roots or on sour orange. The other consideration is how those rootstocks do in Arizona. Most dwarfing rootstocks really don't do too well in this soil. So you might have the right size tree, but if it isn't healthy, that doesn't help a lot does it?
    I have several citrus trees on C-35 rootstock and they're fairly small, although I'm pretty sure they could grow to 8-10 ft and maybe more. So as far as size, that might be good, except the problem with citrange (which is what c-35 is) is that it hates the clay soil we have here. I'm constantly having to battle with chlorosis.
    I would use sour orange rootstock, and yes they grow fast and can get big, but you can always trim the heck out of them and citrus can be hedge trimmed very nicely. I've seen several fairly tall citrus hedges around town and they look great.
    I have a standard meyer lemon, i believe on its own roots. it has been in the ground almost 3 yrs, it is now about my height. I'm going to guess that it will top out at 8-10 ft. However if you're going to have it all the same kind of lemon, I hope you know what to do with that many lemons. My Meyer lemon is incredibly productive. I picked over 100 fruit off it in its 2nd year. They ripen around Christmas. That's why I think it makes sense to have different varieties that ripen at different times. but then again, that might not be the best when it comes to hedging... I suppose it would look more uniform if it was all one variety, same rootstock. anyway, I'm rambling so I better get off the soapbox and let someone else comment.

• WhittakerJ
    10 years ago

@CraigO1 What did you end up using for this Lemon hedge? Did it work out well? How tall is it? I'm considering the same thing and I'm curious how yours turned out. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

• AJBB
    10 years ago

Any lemon on volkameriana or sour orange rootstock, preferably lisbon. Meyer is a shorter tree, topping out at 6-7 feet.

• Fascist_Nation
    10 years ago

Improved Meyer lemon. Anything else will likely die off from a freeze unless you are certain it will never get below 30F in that spot. To me why bother? Imp. Meyer is a good year round "lemon."

Rootstock is hard to say. I like SSO...if you can find it. RSI Growers and Greenfield's Nursery carry them.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry