Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi :) My First Post, Need Help With Plant ID

Posted by haname z9 AZ (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 16:58

Hi :)

I'm Tanya, have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks or so and look forward to what I will be able to learn here.

There is a plant that is in the common areas of my neighborhood whose name I would like to know. I'm sorry I don't have a picture, but it is a tall open/airy shrub with gray/green leaves and blooms in the late summer or fall with lovely brilliant white blooms. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

Another question is, does anyone grow the California Wild Grape (Vitis californica)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi :) My First Post, Need Help With Plant ID

Could it be sage? I know they have all different types with the blooms ranging from pink, purple and white.

o

I have no clue about your ID you need, but I'm growing "roger's red", a form of the grape you asked about.

o

Not a sage, this shrub has a very open and airy habit. Some in my neighborhood are a little taller than the walls. Also they bloom late in the season -- in the fall.

azreo, how well does your vine do in our climate? I have one coming and will have to plant it now. Not the ideal time I know. Hopefully I will be able to get it through the summer. In what exposure do you have yours?

o

I think it will do fine! Mine is planted against a south facing concrete wall although it does get late day shade. They can handle full sun and dry conditions here in the valley very well once established. Mine is full of baby grapes at the moment :)

o
More on V. californica 'Roger's Red'

"Mine is full of baby grapes at the moment :)"

That's so exciting! :) (we gardeners get excited over the funniest things don't we). I'm really looking forward to the fall display too.

On that other plant, I just went driving in the neighborhood and see that it is blooming now. I'll go to the nursery later today to see if I can find out what it is. :)

o

lol Yes, and yet somehow my DH is never amused.

o

I think the plant you are describing is Little Leaf Cordia (Cordia parvifolia). It makes a great landscape plant and it's crisp white flowers are a bonus. It can grow to 6' x 6' so give it ample room.

I've grown the Roger's Red grape for several years now. It has great fall color but the fruit is strictly ornamental (small, seedy). I'll try to post a photo to the gallery.

o

Cordia is right :) Thanks for the help. They do seem to be blooming now. I don't know why I had the impression they bloomed in the fall... maybe because the flowers are more outstanding then?

The birds might like the grapes :) Or I could try juicing them if they're tasty/sweet and abundant enough otherwise.

o

Yep, I'm growing mine for the birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here