Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorothyroeder

What is everyone harvesting or planting right now?

dorothyroeder
13 years ago

Curious about what everyone is harvesting or planting right now?

After completely messing up, I did get lots of nice beet greens and even a few beets, but they are gone now.

Comments (21)

• greendesert
    13 years ago

i'm getting ready to plant some armenian cucumbers, watermelons and cantaloupe, possibly some italian squash, and definitelly some okra. this is the perfect time to plant these (although a bit late for the squash).

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Today I was harvesting radishes and cherry tomatoes. At this point everything is planted with the exception of a few melons that will be transplanted in the next 1-2 days.

Man is windy out there or what?

• zone10aridgardener
    13 years ago

Just planted mango, guava, and passion fruit. My lemon is just recovering from the frost so I hope I get fruit this year.

• luvkuku
    13 years ago

The strawberries are finished, and I composted the plants, harvesting herbs, parsley, basil, and cilantro to dry, squash blossoms. My tomato plants are loaded down with small green fruits, but only one tomato trying to turn red so far.

• hellbound
    13 years ago

just about to start harvesting zuccini, lots of millionare eggplants almost ripe my bonnie grapes are just starting to blush and i have 100's of tai hot and nu mex big jims almost read to pick i'll be planting okra in the next week or so and have lots of flowers on mu cukes both straight 8 and armanians.

• thisisme
    13 years ago

hellbound you are way out in front of me. When did you plant your zucchini and Nu-Mex Big Jim's?

• kingkongos
    13 years ago

Harvesting tomatillos, a couple tomatoes here and there, basil, chamomile. Gonna pick about 4 zucchinis and 2 Diamond Eggplants in a couple days and my kentucky wonders/rattlesnake pole beans should be ready to harvest in about a week. My winter squashes are setting fruit and my bell/pablano peppers should be ready to pick green any day now.

Only thing to plant is Okra which I will do when I have the space after I pull my garlic/potatoes/amaranth...whichever is ready first.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Basil, lettuce (I can't believe it's not bitter yet!) radishes and tiny carrots. Eggplants have tons of babies not ready yet and the Marglobe tomato is loaded with huge, green tomatoes.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Just planted seedlings of:
    Okra (Clemson spineless because last year's heirloom varieties had poor yield and tough pods)
    Armenian Cucumbers (lots of them to cover my new shade arbor)
    Serrano and chilaca chiles
    Eggplant
    basil, thyme, oregano

Larger plants planted out from 6" pots:
    Various tomato varieties. Shoulda done it sooner, but life got in the way.

Already growing well:
    Summer squash (seeing buds!)
    Two eggplants left over from last year that miraculously survived 2 killer frosts - one is already blooming.
    Tomatoes - Matt's Wild Cherry planted a month ago from Jiffy pots are already setting fruit

Still to come:
    More chilis

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

I'm harvesting basil, some tomatoes from my very ill looking plants that received herbicide damage. I do have 2 tomato plants that were not in containers that are alive, but very small (Coyote & Thessaloniki). Don't know if they'll produce 'cause they're only about 8" high. My scalloped squash has some almost ready, but not quite. I have several baby Japanese cukes, some Boston Pickling and about 3 Iciban Eggplants. One I think is ready to pick in a few days.

I've planted Cajun Delight okra, Jubilee watermelon, Sugar Bowl watermelon and Crimson Sweet watermelon. I'm done with planting till late fall/summer.

• hellbound
    13 years ago

thanks thisisme,
    numex bigjims are 3years old i trim them back every january and they grow back up again kinda like lantana my zukes and cukes were seeded the week of valentines eggplants and tomatoes were bought at various places lowes, home depot, elgin nursery i'm on a strict miracle grow regiment i feed every other week alternating between the tomato formula and the all purpose. i know lots of people don't like miracle grow but i love the stuff works great and if you stock up when u see it on sale it's not super expensive.

• greendesert
    13 years ago

@kingkongos: Where did you find Diamond eggplant...did you start those from seed? I really wanted to try those this year but couldn't find the seeds locally. Perhaps I'll try them in the fall.

• hellbound
    12 years ago

i harvested 2 zuccini's and 2 8 ball squash this morning can't wait to stir fry them up with a little onion garlic and a few of those thai hots.....

• tungstenchef
    12 years ago

I'm harvesting Creole Red onions and Swiss chard I planted last fall, and basil I planted in March. The onions and basil have excellent flavor, but the chard isn't as good as last year. It doesn't taste much beets, it just has this sort of generic flavor similar to how hay smells. I've got a Romanesco plant that hasn't flowered but is dinosaur-sized, it's taking up at least a yard of my garden space. The zucchini I planted in March is ready, I'm going to pick the first fruit as soon as I need it for a recipe. I've got some "bonus" garlic that grew out of last year's compost, I'm not sure when I'll harvest it but it's looking pretty big right now.

• kingkongos
    12 years ago

@greendesert

I bought them online from Seed Savers Exchange. Started them from seed January 3rd, transplanted out March 3rd.

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

Loquats, mulberries, jaboticaba, surinam cherries,

• tracydr
    12 years ago

When does everyone start fall tomato seeds? I'm going to sow some peppers, eggplants and basil, plus a few flowers. Just wondering if I should do the tomatoes or wait on them?
    Had a salad yesterday with lettuce, radishes, jalepenos and fresh dill, all from the garden I think the lettuce is nearly done but still not bitter or bolting! Maybe from the cooler nights and partial shade?
    My Japenese eggplant has over twenty fruits, some almost ready to pick. The bigger eggplant (don't know the variety) has lots of tiny fruits but they take longer to mature. TomToes planted in Feb are loaded down with fruit Marglobe and purple Russian) but the ones that were planted late are just now blossoming. Hopefully, they'll have time to set before we get hit by heat.
    Basil is the best I've ever grown. Chard is a monster, can't figure out what to do with it all.
    I'm planting okra, melons, watermelon, kabocha squash, and a zucchini this weekend. Will move my red ripper peas from their not so good spot to the new garden and build a trellis next week.
    Is it too late do you think, for a few Christmas Limas? Most of mine were eaten by pill worms.

• MissionGardens
    12 years ago

We've harvested little carrots in one of our gardens. Our Cosmic Purples aren't ready yet, which concerns me a bit. They're also not exactly purple. I'm hoping they will turn when they're ready. The broccoli has done well this spring; i think it's just about finished though. Last strawberry just went through, too.

I have just finished putting in my last round of glads, for the summer. There are also dahlias and lilies in the same beds, right as people enter the school, so that we'll have a nice looking summer garden there for everyone to see.

I want to put in some melons this week, in my last empty bed. Not sure how well it'll work out, but we'll give it a shot!

• desertplumeriasaz
    12 years ago

Trying to root a sugar cane I brought back from HI, and a pineapple top... Anyone have luck with Sugar Cane?

• tungstenchef
    12 years ago

From the little I know about sugar cane, it likes things downright swampy. They grow it in the tropics at the bases of mountains so that the rain runs down and pools around the cane.

• mister_gin
    12 years ago

Finally got a few Big Beef tomatoes today along with a good handful of Sweet 100's. Should have some Early Prolific Straightneck squash within a day or two.

Not planting anything else until late June or so. Thinking about giving pumpkins another go then.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living