Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

New pomegranate losing leaves

tracydr
12 years ago

Help! My new pomegranate that I planted about 3 weeks ago, is turning yellow and losing its leaves. I dug a hole about twice as wide, slightly deeper, put the root ball in to the level of the plant with plenty of bagged compost, I did add a small handful of organic Frog Farms fertilizer with mycorrhiza to the hole, along with some humic acid.

I don't see any aphids or mites.

Too much water, not enough? What should I do?

Comments (8)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tracy -
    Get a moisture meter and use it ... that will tell you the answer to the water question.

What has your watering schedule for the plant been?

Pomegranates don't like pampering, so the bagged compost, fertilizer and humic acid might have sent it onto the plant equivalent of a diabetic coma.

• thisisme
    12 years ago

lazygardens is right. It may be to much or too little water. The symptoms are roughly the same for both so yea. You do have to check since the tree is sickly. Like he said, it would help to know how and how often you are watering.

It could also be something else but not enough information was given.

Was this a potted tree or was it bare root?
    If it was potted, did you bare root it and or root prune it before planting?
    How large is the tree?
    Was it leafed out before it was planted?

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This was a potted tree. I did not root prune or bare root it as it didn't look too compacted.
    So, since it's stressed, what should I do now? Ivecut back watering to once a week, when it feels almost completely dry, just ever so slightly damp at ablu 3-4 inches down.
    I did have heavy clay so I'm sure if I'm not careful I can get some bathtub effect but I really haven't been flooding it. This is in my front yard where I don't have irrigation so it doesn't get flooded.
    Should I pull it up and replant?

• thisisme
    12 years ago

I have plant and uprooted more than two dozen fruit trees since moving to Arizona.

I have planted bare root trees in pots and later planted them in the ground and later I dug them up.

I have purchased potted trees and planted them in the ground and later dug them up.

I have planted bare root trees in the ground with lots of organic matter and later dug them up.

I have planted bare root trees in the ground in native soil with only a few hand full of amendments mixed in.

The results really surprised me.

I purchased two potted Asian Pear trees that needed to flower at the same time to produce fruit. I did not bare root them. When I planted them the root systems looked good. By good I mean there were no roots swirling and no obvious problems.

The trees seamed to take but never were very healthy. They lost leaves in the heat and turned yellow from time to time. As time passed in the heat of summer the end of some of the limbs would dry out and die during the hottest months. After four years with no fruit I decided to pull them. I did not want to lose all that soil so I knocked it off the roots and was shocked at what I found.

When purchased one tree was in a 3 gallon pot and the other in a 4 gallon pot. But each tree's roots formed a central mass of swirled roots in the exact shape of a 1 gallon nursery pot. Those roots were all twisted, cramped and choking each other and all the new root fed into them. All the care I had given them was being choked off because they had been root bound when they were still very young trees at the nursery. I have never purchased another tree from that online nursery.

I have planted bare root trees in pots and let them mature and later planted them in the ground. Those trees appeared to do well only to fail later do to the bathtub affect. The same was true of trees planted in heavily amended holes. Though a few of these have thrived though I'm sure its only because their roots where lucky enough to have escaped the planting hole.

The best results were from planting bare root trees in native soul in November through January.

All of the trees were watered well and mulched. However the trees planted directly in native soil thrive while the others did not thrive or if they did they did not thrive for long. It all has to do with root growth. Roots are attracted to water. Roots also find it hard to penetrate from one soil texture to another. If the soil in the planting hole holds water well the roots will stay there. As years go by this is not good. Root bound trees are bound to fail whether they are root bound before they are sold by the nursery or root bound in the planting hole.

With bare root trees you can see the root system. You can prune damaged roots that will harm the tree. harvestman over in the Fruit and Orchard Forum is a professional nurseryman who sells only mature trees. He purchases bare root trees and grows them out and sells them as mature trees. Sometimes he buys potted trees and grows them out too. He has posted many times that he bare roots every potted tree he buys before planting for this very reason. He even bare roots the mature tree before planting them on the buyers property.

Nursery's that grow in pots get busy and trees can get root bound at any stage of development. In the nursery they are under shade cloth and constant care is given them. Take them out of that environment and any problem they may have is bound to show itself in time.

It could just be transplant shock but without having to cut swirling roots and it being planted in amended soil I think it less likely. Pomegranate's are tough trees though so it may outgrow this.

Its not as hard to bare root a tree as it might seam. If you have had any of the problems with trees not thriving like I have you may want to try it the next time you purchase a potted tree. Also keep in mind the best time to plant here is from November through January and earlier in that time frame is better.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Thissime. I'll dig it up and put it back in a pot if it doesn't perk up real soon. And, in the future, will not amend the soil, will use the native soil and make sure I check out the roots better.
    I plan to do some trees and roses next winter, mostly from online sources, bareroot.

• Suzanne Jones
    7 years ago

I just received a miniature pomegranate it had lots of leaves by day three leaves are falling off fast what I can do I don't want to loose it

• iandyaz
    7 years ago

Suzanne, how have you been caring for it? Did you leave it in it's pot or plant it in the ground? How frequently are you watering it?

• linywiny
    7 years ago

I have had both large(plant is over 50 yrs. old) and miniature Pomegranates, they are bushes(can be trained/pruned to grow as tree), like to have really dry soil with good drainage and lots of sun. The leaves fall off in our cooler months then return. Neither one does well in pots, or being transplanted. They are prone to beetles/weevils.Once established they can be cut almost completely off and survive but won't produce good fruit again until the stems/stalks are regrown for a year or two. Miniature pom. plants are often used as Bonsai,and not really eaten. The Dwarf variety can be eaten but a lot of trouble and you do not get much.The large variety is best for eating and sssooooo good! Many of the plants that are at box stores come from outside our state and if the plant has not been started/grown here,acclimated to the desert sun,heat & dryness nothing you do will keep it alive. Get your plants from a local nursery where the plants have been started,grown and guaranteed to live in our harsh conditions.Planting season for us is November thru March.Many miniature or Dwarf varieties of citrus are illegal to be shipped/grown here because of possible cross pollination with all of our citrus groves.Once you get the seasons figured out the growing/gardening here is excellent.