Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to water mature olive tree in AZ?

Posted by lovemy3azboys Arizona (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 17:58

Just moved into a new home that has a mature olive tree. The tree is planted in a large raised area & has rock for mulch. Last weekend we planted new bermuda grass seeds around the outside of this raised area & have been watering it heavely to keep the seeds moist for germination. I have noticed there are many yellow leaves on the olive tree, not sure if this is recent. I'm not sure how to water this tree. I've been looking online but am still not sure if the yellow is from too little or too much water. I've only watered the tree slightly in the 2 months we have been here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to water mature olive tree in AZ?

The Mediterranean origin of olive trees makes them well suited for our desert environment. The yellow leaves you see could indicate water stress or could be the natural replacement of last years leaves at the beginning of the growth season.

It can be difficult to adequately water trees that are located in grass areas. Grass only needs water to soak down to 6 - 8 inches while trees need moisture down to 2 - 3 feet. The amount of water needed for your tree will depend on its size. For instance, an olive with a canopy width of 10 feet will need about 70 gallons of water applied once every 10 days. A tree with a 15 foot canopy will need about 170 gallons once every 10 days.

This water should be applied at the drip line (edge of the branches). You can use a drip system or hose. Some folks use a soaker hose laid under the tree at the drip line. For trees not on my drip system I let the hose trickle overnight (when water is cooler) on several consecutive nights moving the hose to different locations at the drip line.

More details about how much water to apply can be found on page 9 of Landscape Watering by the Numbers. A schedule of how often to apply the water is on page 12 and 18. See the link below.

Good luck with your tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Watering by the Numbers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here