Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about container soil

Posted by tomatofreak Z9 Phx USA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 18:04

I have some large tubs and half barrels that I planted with greens, mostly, and a few other veggies. I'm taking all the plants out now and I'm wondering if I should use the soil 1) as is, 2) amend it with fresh potting soil or ??, or 3) take it all out and refill containers with new soil. There's a dense network of tiny roots and lots and lots of happy earthworms. I could always add the soil to other places in the yard, but I'd hate to lose all the earthworms. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about container soil

If the worms are happy the soil is healthy. That being said I would still amend it with some fresh potting soil. It will ensure that the worms will continue to have something to eat which in turn will feed your plants.

o

Sounds logical. I'll do that. Thanks.

o

Agreed. I'd keep the soil and just add a bit of fresh potting soil to it, or maybe even well rotted compost, but I tend to like potting soil too. Let us know what you do and how it works out! Happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here