Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejmammo

Tecoma Stans 'Orange Jubilee'

ejmammo
12 years ago

Hi all,

I am in my first half of a year of a new home with a very nicely landscaped yard in the Vail area. Unfortunately we took a big hit from the freezing weather like everyone else. So I am slowly hoping some things will bounce back.I am finally seeing new growth on a fan tex ash, and 2 pink desert willows. But my question is with the Tecoma Stans, I had three huge ones, that all look deader than dead. I have scraped the bark on all the branches and see no green. So my question is are they history? I did a test on the smaller one, and cut it down to 18 inches from 10 ft or better, but the remaining "sticks" seem very dry and frankly dead. Is there any hope for these, or should I start over? Thanks

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

The desert willow and the ash can stand a lot of freezing. My willow is just leafing out, with a few buds.

Tecoma stans, unfortunately, is not freeze tolerant even in Phoenix, and we're warmer than you. I'd leave the pruned down plant for another month and see if it sprouts anything from below ground.

If not, perhaps reconsider its use and find something a bit more freeze tolerant for that location.

• AJBB
    12 years ago

Tecoma stans is an annual out in Colorado

• kelly_girl
    12 years ago

Has it sprouted any green yet? We just planted a few here. I don't know how similar the cold tolerance is between cape honeysuckle and orange jubilee, but our cape honeysuckle froze to the ground (they were over 6 feet tall!) I had to cut them down to the ground, but they are growing back very quickly. Every stem was dead, but new growth came from the base. Hope your jubilee are doing better!

• amijo
    12 years ago

we have about a dozen Orange Jubilee which are about 8 years old. I was pruning them to be trees and they got very tall and dropped orange flowers everywhere. Decided I
    would rather have them be hedge plants rather than trees, so we cut them down to the ground. They are all coming right back up, healthy and lively. This is the third time they have been cut down to the ground. Some of ours froze this past winter, and they were cut down and are on their way back up. They grow VERY fast.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Mine (PV area) froze to the ground but are recovering.

• crista
    12 years ago

My orange jubilees in Gilbert froze back nearly to the ground - as they had in the BF of 2007 - but have grown back and are now about five feet tall. They need water and fertilizer to come back more quickly, I found, and then they do fine. Mine is near the pool as well and for that reason I trimmed back the branches over six feet tall that had crispy leaves after the freeze, figuring they were goners, and that prevented a lot of the dead leaves from landing in the pool. I wouldn't use this variety any place that didn't have mild winters, though.

• 123sheila
    12 years ago

I planted 2 orange jubalee shrubs. They have been in the ground since april and I have not seen any signs of growth. They get wilty from the heat and I water on a regular basis by hand filling their foot in diameter "bowl". The soil is a mix of the natural sandy/rocky soil mixed with mulch. What can I do to get typical results.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

123sheila ... What do you mean by "on a regular basis"?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?