Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white flies on grapes vines and leaves

Posted by lumber5607 Scottsdale (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 1, 06 at 18:30

Gardeners - Need some advice!

I've had grape vines that each year grow larger, grander, and produce more fruit. Last year, a white fly type insect (very small) began living on my vines. The nursery told me to use pesticide, but only after harvesting my grapes, so, I kept on fertilizing, and growing through the summer - grapes were fine, regardless of the pests. But there were zillions. Then, after harvest, I used pesticide to eradicate, but was never able to.

Fast forward to this year - without the leaves over winter, it looked like the flies were wiped out. But, now as its in high speed growth mode, I see little clear egg shapes on the vines, and the flies seem to be coming back.

Does anyone know what I should do? I want to eat the grapes that will come later in the season (have 16 clumps forming already). But want these flies dead.

Last year Home Depot had bags of Ladybugs - perhaps buying several of those and letting them loose? I don't know if they have them this year...

Thoughts, Suggestions??? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white flies on grapes vines and leaves

hi there... i don't know if this will be much help to you, but i use a mixture of water and dishsoap, and spray it on my plants, in the late evening. it makes the plant too slippery for the flies. in my opinoin, it works. you are not supposed to use pesticides on anything that you want to eat, plus it usually kills benifical insects as well. good luck.

kim

o

Also keep an eye open for skeletonizers... black flies that that destroy the vine... they also have larvae all over that look like pretty yellow and purple caterpillars but they bite... my mom and I just picked a bunch of grape leaves today and made dolma (heck, I can't spell it)... mmmmm
Brittany

o

oh, i almost forgot... i also mix earthworm casting into the soil around the plants. it gets absorbed into the plant and the whitefies hate the way the plant tastes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here