Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fig sprouting from rootstock

Posted by xill none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 18:39

here's a photo of my newly planted black mission fig (couple weeks ago). it's sprouting a few leaves from the base. it looks like it's from the root stock, but it's hard to tell because there was another base that was cut and the main fig tree is growing from a different base/rootstock. the leaves that are sprouting look like fig leaves too. I've always heard that it was important to remove any leaves from the rootstocks of any trees, but I really really would LOVE to have a multi-trunk fig. is it safe to let these little guys continue growing, or should I definitely remove them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fig sprouting from rootstock

In this case its safe to let it grow. Its almost one hundred percent sure that its not grafted. I have seen and grown many figs from cuttings. When not grown from a apical bud the top branch that grows out of the scion assumed the role of top of the tree and grows vertical. The root and the tree are one and always have been. its not a scion attached to a root stock.

The one exception would be.....

Bud grafted fig trees. Which with fig trees are generally only done with patented or rare varieties.

In a few more years you won't be able to see that part of the scion on the side that dried up becasue it will completely heal over.

I would just let it grow into something like this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here