Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisisme_gw

April 2013: what looks good/bad in your garden?

thisisme
11 years ago

Grant was a little late this month so I thought I would get things started.

I'm going to call this The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

It's mostly Bad and Ugly. Don't judge me to harshly.

The Illinois Everbearing Mulberry I planted December 2011. It's going to become a massive Mulberry bush this year.

Comments (38)

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some Fig trees.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Royal Blenheim Apricot. Produces lots of amazing fruit.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chickasaw Plum tree planted November 2011.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close up of Chickasaw Plum tree.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the far corner is my new Loquat.

Did anyone notice how nice and green all the weeds are?

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

LOL! Thanks for starting the theme this month. I had a hellacious early start to the month at work, but all is getting better. Anyway, great fun to see your pics and updates! Your plants look so happy and vigorous, so fun to see, and very productive! Get those weeds while they're green! Don't you find they're like five times more annoying when they've turned brown--I sure do (and yes, I get plenty too).

So fun to see!

Here's something looking good in my garden right now, bearded iris 'Batik'. So easy, and so fun, I've gone a bit overboard with bearded iris, but why not, right? Easy to grow/bloom, and their sword-like foliage blends in nicely with cacti and succulents.

{{gwi:401830}}

Here's a variegated gazania (G. repens) I've been growing for years, starting to really bloom now. Another easy, fun plant that looks great 365.25 days a year. Even though it's variegated, the foliage is sun resistant, yes, even here! Like all gazanias, it's easy from stem cuttings rooted in soil or water.

{{gwi:401831}}

Thanks for starting the theme while I was slacking, hah! Let's keep the updates (pics or not) coming! Happy gardening all!

Here is a link that might be useful: What's blooming in Grant's garden so far April 2013

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

Grant, your bearded iris are beautiful. Do you find growing iris in the Phx area easy? I've tried growing bearded iris, but have had some trouble growing them. I grow mostly roses so have planted the iris with the roses and some do ok, but most not so well. They don't usually die but don't bloom. They also don't spread at all, which I was hoping they would.

Suggestions?

• nickw252
    11 years ago

Mexican Bird of Paradise is starting to bloom

• nickw252
    11 years ago

The bottlebrush trees I planted last fall recently bloomed. The aloe flowers are about done.

• centurion_
    11 years ago

Really nice to see pics guys. Thisisme, thanks especially for the pic of your illinois everbearing mulberry. My little ie stick has been in ground for only a couple of months now. I removed the block in the pic to give it an extra half hour of morning sun.

You've given me something to look forward to.

(Edited to resubmit pic. These popups are driving me nuts).

This post was edited by Centurion_ on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 22:50

• centurion_
    11 years ago

Desert King fig (from thisisme) waking up. Pic was taken last week. I counted 42 brebas this morning.

(Don't know why I have to keep resubmitting pics. But I do).

This post was edited by Centurion_ on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 23:19

• centurion_
    11 years ago

Cats supervisin the day's work.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Very nice new pics, all, thanks for posting them! Nick, I really like the look of your home, garden, and neighborhood. Neat neat neat! Centurion, your plants and kitties all look really good too. You all are making me want to save the mulberry that popped up in one of my aloe pots last spring. Hmmmm...!

Jasper, I DO find bearded iris to be very, very easy here. So easy in fact, I've gone a bit overboard with them. When I first moved here in 2000 there were several large commercial iris nurseries in Phoenix, so that tells you how well they do here. I just give them full sun, or full sun with a touch of afternoon shade, and water once or twice a week spring through autumn, then monthly in winter. I slop all purpose Miracle Gro fertilizer on them every few weeks spring and summer and that's about it. They look tired by the end of summer, but start perking up in autumn or winter. You'll find lots of bare root rhizomes for sale in autumn, the best time of year to plant them here. I leave the top 25% of the rhizome UNcovered. "They" say the extra light on the rhizome encourages flowers. What problems have you had with them in the past?

Speaking of bearded iris, here's a new-for-me variety 'Easy Being Green' starting to bloom right now:

{{gwi:401834}}

Here's a big leaf big flowered crown of thorns (Euphorbia milii) blooming on the patio, with Wilson the tennis ball included to show size.

{{gwi:401835}}

Finally, another pic of petunia 'Pretty Much Picasso' which has been absolutely covered in flowers since early November (that's already six months! eat your heart out "it's too hot in Phoenix to garden" people).

{{gwi:401836}}

Happy gardening all!
    Grant

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

Grant, thanks so much for the info on the bearded iris. I might have planted them too deeply. I'll keep trying as I love them! Your pictures are always an inspiration to me.

I love your petunias. I'll have to put them on my list!

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    11 years ago

thisisme, when all those trees mature, you'll have a lovely, shady yard. Good job...I love trees.

Grant, your stuff alway looks totally wonderful, you certainly have the gift.

And I especially like Centurion's supervisors. ;-)

Here's a few pics from the garden: I'm going to do these in separate posts because they are not on-line and I just have a minute.....

Got tomatillos?

11 years ago

Sweet cluster: (gee, I wonder why they are named that??)

11 years ago

Siberian Red:

• centurion_
    11 years ago

Your tomatoes look GREAT. We're probably 6 or 7 weeks behind you up here. My little early girl has just put out it's first blossoms.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grant I am always impressed by your beautiful plants and flowers. I purchased a bunch of seeds of varieties you grow this last winter. I panned on planting them but my other half would not have it. If she had her way our yard would be paved over. However she likes your pictures very much. She thought your blue and white bearded iris was so beautiful that it could not be real. Could not believe it was grown in Arizona.

Nick that Mexican Bird of Paradise of yours looks amazing. Truly a sight to behold. ItâÂÂs just so exotic looking and looks so perfectly healthy. When more of those flowers open could you post another picture?

Mary I will be keeping all of those trees fairly short for easy picking. No taller than I can reach. I will be planting a mulberry soon though for shade. I would say your tomatoes are about 4-5 weeks ahead of mine. Looks like you really know what you are doing. What do you do with all of those tomatillos?

Centurion my friend. I look forward to your late summer pictures. I suspect parts of your yard are going to start looking like a jungle in a few years. By the way. There is now a stray four legged supervisor in my backyard too. We do not feed it and yet itâÂÂs somehow gotten so fat on something that itâÂÂs having a hard time getting over the block wall.

• centurion_
    11 years ago

Your little supervisor must belong to a neighbor. That's the best kind. You don't have to feed it. And...it will keep your yard free of gophers, squirrels, rats, and mice. It will get the lizards too though. I am constantly chasing my little guys down to rescue members of our lizard population. Those little guys eat a ton of bugs. (as do the cats ).

(BTW, Has my morus nigra noir of spain arrived yet)?

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Morus Nigra is expected to arrive the 18th. As far as the supervisor goes. We have tons and tons of lizards in my yard. I bet thats how he's getting so fat.

• grant_in_arizona
    11 years ago

Wow! Great new pics, Mary and all, thanks for taking the time to share them with us! The tomatoes and tomatillos look so great. You always grow them so well!

YES, bearded iris do really well here. So easy! Just give them sun and occasional water and they'll do great. Here's another one looking good right now, 'Jennifer Stout'

{{gwi:401837}}

And, I'm excited to share, my first cross pollination experiment in Hippeastrum (amaryllis). Four years ago I crossed 'Sydney' and 'Minerva'. Here's the very first seedling to bloom. Not bad!

{{gwi:401838}}

Finally, for my fellow succulent lovers, here's some Dyckia fosteriana blooms with a big blue Agave americana in the background:

{{gwi:401839}}

Thanks for the nice comments on my pics, and definitely keep your pics and comments on other photos coming. Happy gardening all!
    Grant

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my C. Gilliesii. Amazing blooms!

11 years ago

jasper, what an incredible explosion of color, nice job there!

Thanks for all the good words on my gardens, it's a lot of work but I enjoy it. thisisme, I don't think I know what I'm doing at all, kind of a throw it against the wall and see what sticks sort of approach. This year I think my secret is all the home compost as well as purchased garden soil, in bulk (1/2 to one full yard at a time) from sand/gravel vendors. The Garden Guy's book, Extreme Gardening has one line that spoke to me: "Feed the soil, not the plant." if your soil is healthy you won't need alot of additional amendments through the grow cycle.....at least that's the idea I'm currently throwing at the wall. ;-)

I plan to finish this gardening cycle by early June and then let the beds rest through summer. I'm so done with trying to get tomatoes to grow through summer. I'll pull 'em and start over late summer/early fall.

Happy gardening to all!! - I love daisies, don't remember if I've posted this one here yet. These happy faces are all but gone now, I'm thinking of planting something edible in the front flower bed, a squash or melon.

• 1212dusti
    11 years ago

Amazing pictures some of you have, very inspiring! Here are tree roses I bought a few weeks ago, couldn't resist, and the coral bells look nice under them.

• 1212dusti
    11 years ago

Here is a mixed planter, the blue and white lobelias are a new heat resistant variety at Lowes.

• 1212dusti
    11 years ago

I like blue flowers and planters, nice cool color for the heat.

• 1212dusti
    11 years ago

Pretty mixed planter.

• 1212dusti
    11 years ago

Here is a good view of the length of the patio, everything is growing well.

• euqruob
    11 years ago

Mulberry tree is putting out amazing tasty fruit, goldfinger banana is coming back from the freeze as are the plumerias and dragon fruit. Newly planted Rajapuri banana in the back (with 3 pups, which will be replanted) 1 and one half solo papayas planted in the back (dog destroyed one, but it is coming back), new calomodin plant, new Big Jim Loquat, new Strawberry Guava. Room for some more plants, I lost the beautiful papayas that were fruiting at the time of the big freeze...

• thisisme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jaspermplants great looking picture. Thank you for posting it. EveryoneâÂÂs garden looks so nice compared to mine. All the weeds are gone now though. Which for me means no more flowers.lol Well except for a few scattered citrus flowers and those on the honeysuckle and Star Jasmine or on tomato and pepper plants. Nohing pretty though.

• 1212dusti
    10 years ago

Hi thisis me,
    Your yard has great potential, why don't you get some nice plants like I have that thrive on tough love, lol? My yard plants often get eaten by the local rabbits, and these plants are rabbit proof and have great blooms.

• 1212dusti
    10 years ago

The above picture is Mexican Bird of Paradise, and this one is the super pretty Desert Willow tree, overshadowed by a Palo Verde.

• 1212dusti
    10 years ago

I made this rock garden to cover up what used to be a bare spot in the yard. Rabbits have eaten a lot of what I put in, but the remaining plants are rabbit proof, and I have lots of Russian Sage in the yard with pretty lacy foliage, very tough and has pretty purple blooms. Agaves are a great plant, and trailing rosemary is a good choice.

• 1212dusti
    10 years ago

Here is a double salmon oleander, the back yard has white ones lined across the fence, but I love the color. Hope I've given you some ideas, good luck! I'm guessing jaspermplants and grant spend a lot more time in their amazing yards than I do, these plants are easy.

• grant_in_arizona
    10 years ago

GREAT new pics and posts everyone, so fun to see! 1212dusti your garden is terrific, thanks for taking the time/effort to let us all enjoy it! Happy gardening all!

• thisisme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

1212dusti sorry I was not more specific. we have some of those plants and bushes in our front yard. We have an HOA which requires us to plant things in the front yard. My wife is not happy with me planting anything in the back yard. She says if it gets watered it makes weeds grow.