Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtoucan

shade structure - Gilbert, AZ

newtoucan
14 years ago

I'm looking for an economical way to erect a shade structure in my backyard, like the ones simple ones they have in the garden centers, not a flimsy one on poles. Anyone have any ideas or places to buy this. I'm not handy at all, and the Shade Sail companies around installing the fancier triangular shade sails says it will cost about $10,000 for a 10' x 20' shade. Found one on Farmtek.com for about $679, but shipping from Iowa is about $150. Anyone know of something more local.

Comments (11)

• mullenium
    14 years ago

what I did last year was buy some wooden stakes and some of those green plastic ones with the metal rod in the middle and hammer them in 4 corners of my desired area then buy shade cloth and zip tie it to the stakes.. worked great and was strong enough the spring winds didnt knock it around

im just bummed because I took the structure down after summer but should have just took the shade cloth off and left the stakes in the ground

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'd like it to be at least 9 feet high, so we can garden and walk under it and sit outside. Where do you get the stakes for it? What % shade cloth do you recommend for Phoenix area? 60%?

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

10x20 shade structure will have to be extremely well-anchored or it's going to fly away. The nursery structures are anchored into concrete and held on with airplane cable. That's why it's expensive.

There are fittings that can hold 1 1/2 inch conduit together to make a structure, and then you can attach shade cloth to it, but you still have to figure out the anchoring. I had one and a monsoon storm took it over the fence and into the alley ... 20x20 structure made from several hundred pounds of steel pipe.

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When the monsoon hit your shade structure, how was hour structure anchored? The shade structure I'm looking at has two possible ways, one with a auger anchor that you put into the dirt. The other type is with concrete. I was hoping to avoid the concrete since I'm not really good with that stuff. Also, I might want to move it in the future. The shade structure I'm thinking of also is in the sideyard so it has protection from the wind on two sides.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

It was anchored with a dozen or so tent stakes.

• mullenium
    14 years ago

the stakes I use arnt 9ft, since my mango trees are still young it doesnt need to be very high.. what about those thick round wood stakes landscapers use to keep trees from blowing over. They seem pretty tall and if you can manage to get them pounded into the ground I doubt they would blow with a monsoon.

Home depot sells them for about 3-5 each

• scottphx
    14 years ago

Just buy one of those vehicle canopies. Swap out the tarp for mesh. Then get contractor bags at hardware store (white, tough plastic for holding debris, rocks, etc. about 2' long, 1' wide). Fill bags with rocks for weight and ties to legs. Avoids concrete option.

• info_urbanshadow_com
    13 years ago

My company specializes in affordable shade structures for residential and commercial customers. Please feel free to check out our website and contact us with the information provided below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade Structures

• Pam Honeycutt
    13 years ago

I'm doing a shade structure out of an 18 ft trampoline up on 5 ft pipe, would like higher but didn't have longer pipe. I put field fence around it and left an opening for doorway. Going to grow armenian cucumbers, asian longbeans, and other vining plants I like on it. My kids want to use the inside as a hangout. Nice way to keep them close to home I hope,

Pam

• newtoucan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have a trampoline pit too. It's about 4 feet deep. Sounds like a good idea to just build fencing around it, instead of filling in the pit. Is that what you are doing?

• Pam Honeycutt
    13 years ago

I put it up on 5 ft pipe and then put the field fence around it attaching it to the trampline and the pipe. I left an opening to use as a door way. The top is filled in by the tarp that you would normally jump on, the part that covered the springs is missing but that's ok as it lets in a little light and also enables me to put some solar light in through the top if I decide to. I'm planning on growing vines on it, Armenian cucumbers, asian longbeans, etc. I'll try to get a pic of it tommorrow and post if I can so you can see what I'm doing.

Pam