Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best plants for arizona?

Posted by Scarletts.Mommy none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 19:58

hi, im new to arizona and am really wanting to start working on my gardens but have no idea of where to start. im from louisiana where everything grows pretty much. any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best plants for arizona?

What kind of plants? Lots of things grow here. Veggies, flowers, shrubs, trees.
Do you have irrigation or do want plants that are desert adapted?

o

If you're looking for landscape plants, I'd recommend the following resource. It includes a database of over 600 plants but the best thing are the photos of actual landscapes in the Phoenix and Tucson area. You can search by landscape 'theme' in the Garden Tour section for images of Desert Serenity, Residential Oasis, Desert Comfort and dozens more. Or try the Garden Gallery for design elements like Patios, Wildflower Gardens, Walkways, Planters, etc.

Just visit the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Wise Landscaping

o

Hi there, welcome to AZ and to the forum, we hope you'll post lots and lots of updates.

You can search for forums for "books" and find some good discussions of some books that will really help you get started (plus the great publication AZtreelver posted too (I keep a copy of that in my man purse, LOL)).

Here's a link to a fun short discussion with lots of tips and book suggestions for new gardeners. This is a wonderful, great gardening climate and one of the most entertaining I've ever grown plants in. Just remember we're entering the most challenging time of year (summer) when paying attention to watering is critical, as is having established plants too.

Great luck and welcome again. Post often. Oh wait, I said that, well, I mean it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread from March with tips/suggestions for AZ Newbies

o
typo

Um, that was supposed to say "....you can search THIS forum for the word "books"....."

Darn cold 80 degree weather, it's affecting my typing today. :P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here