Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johndoe74

Swan hill fruitless olive tree

johndoe74
18 years ago

Any comment on this tree? I need a low litter small to medium size shade tree about 12' away from my patio. Any other suggestions for a small size (15' to 20' tall at mature) shade tree? I am also looking at Cascolote, but it doesnt seem to have a dense canopy. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
    18 years ago

My only comment is that I want one too. I researched trees last fall and was looking seriously at this tree. I settled on a Shamel Ash but still am considering the Swan Hill fruitless olive. It's just that Swan Hill nursery is a bit of a drive for me.

HTH.

• aztreelvr
    18 years ago

You should be able to get the Swan Hill olive at your favorite nursery. The retail outlets they list in the metro Phoenix area are:
    Mesa -Treeland Nursery  (Wholesale/Retail)  480-497-2525
    Phoenix - Summer Winds Nurseries (Wholesale/Retail) Â 602-867-1822
    Phoenix - Star Nursery (Wholesale/Retail) Â 623-556-0820
    Waddell - White Tank Nursery & Garden Center (Wholsle/Retail)- 623-536-2020

Other small tree suggestions are listed in the FAQ section on this forums home page. I'd suggest the Mastic tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swan Hill Nursery retail/wholesale vendors

• yayaedie
    17 years ago

Does anyone know how I can locate an olive tree or some other very large evergreen tree to plant in the center of a courtyard. I am looking for a multi trunk tree that is so large that you can almost, if not exactly, walk underneath the limbs that stretch out to the tree's side. I don't know if trees of this size are sold, or if they have a good survival rate. Can you get a Desert Museum hybrid Palo Verde this big?

• newby_owner
    14 years ago

Finding this conversation of interest because we seem to have a tough spot for a tree in our backyard. Our landscaper put in a beautiful purple leaf plum but it got fried.

The location is in full sun and just a couple feet from a concrete block wall so it gets a lot of heat! We're looking for a fast growing tree that won't get too big to screen out view of neighbors above the wall. Nothing that makes a mess or has thorns (near the walkway). I like flowers but would forgo that for an attractive tree that survives.

Will any of the trees listed above fill the bill?
    Landscaper suggested these: oleander tree, bottle brush tree, pittosporum tobira.

Any thoughts on best choices?

• aztreelvr
    14 years ago

Pittosporum tobira won't work. It likes shade to partial shade and will burn in full sun/reflected heat. It is also not considered desert-adapted due to their high water needs.

Keep in mind the mature size of whatever you plant. A tree that has a mature width of 10 feet should be planted 5 feet away from your wall.

Here are my sugggestions:
    Palo Blanco (Acacia williardiana) 20 feet tall x 10 feet wide, graceful branches with white trunk
    Mexican Bird of Paradise (Caesalpinia mexicana) 10 x 8, evergreen with yellow flowers nearly year round
    Texas Olive (Cordia boissieri) 10 x 10, evergreen with crisp white flowers spring to fall
    Hop Bush (Dodonaea viscosa) 10 x 8, evergreen, low litter
    Orange Bells (Tecoma hybrid) 8 x 5, tubular orange flowers
    Yellow Bells (Tecoma stans v stans) 8 x 5, tubular yellow flowers

You can view these and more on line at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape Plants for the Arizona Desert

• entfarms_qwestoffice_net
    13 years ago

Swan Hill fruitless olive trees can also be purchased at Elgin Nursery and Tree Farm, 8606 W. McDowell Rd, Phoenix.

• rmclean2180_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Would you send picture of the fruitless olive and info. I need to see if I can use it in my new home landscaping