Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whtzomb

Gardenia's in AZ!! YES!!!

WHTZOMB
12 years ago

Hey Arizona!

I just wanted to pop in and say that you can grow gardenia in AZ!

This is my loving Gardenia Tree!

{{gwi:402077}}

And this is my Gardenia experiment.

{{gwi:402078}}

I picked it up over 2 years ago. It was very leggy. I took it home and cut over half the root mass off and over 70 percent of the top growth off and planted it in a smaller pot to test the "touchy" theory out! Every time it puts out a new shoot, I wait till it has 3 sets of leaves and cut it down just above the 1st set to produce 2 additional branches. Next spring I will root prune it again and re pot in the same pot. I only use fish emulsion 1-2 a month.

There is nothing like the scent of the Gardenia.

Just wanted to pop in and spread my AZ passion for Gardenias!!!!!!!!

Comments (20)

• tomatofreak
    12 years ago

I love them, but have never been able to keep them going for very long. How old is the one on the trellis? And what is the exposure for them? Yours are beautiful and I'm tempted to try again.

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Very nice plants! I absolutely ADORE the scent of gardenias too. There is just nothing like it. Can you tell us more about what sun exposure your plants get, and how often you water and how often and what you use for fertilizer? We can all probably learn from your success. Your tips and tricks might embolden some of us to give them a try (or another try, depending who you ask, LOL). Thanks for the eye candy! Take care and happy gardening!

• WHTZOMB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have always heard stories of houses with gardenia hedges with bloom after bloom in AZ. I want that!!!

They were both on a west wall till about 2 weeks ago. They got sun till about noon in those locations. My neighbor has fruit trees which block the sun from heating it up. Now, the trimmed one is back on a patio deck with maybe 3-4 hours of am exposure and the trellis gets about the same. Just moved it over to block the mid day sun from getting to it.

As far as watering...I tend to water about every 2-4 days now. (The bigger pots are checked before watering and are often skipped till the next watering) When summer does hit they are watered every other day with deep waterings. In winter, I water once a week if they need it. I have only used fish emulsion. I use a 5 gallon jug with 3 tbls and 10-20 drops of superthrive for all my potted plants about every month. About 2 weeks ago, I also removed the top 2-3 inches of soil and added fresh soil and topped with wood mulch to retain moisture.

I do NOT stick to this schedule as it is only my guide line. I try to neglect them a bit and I am not afraid to loose them.

The tree was picked up about 4 years ago and did not look like a tree when I got it. I have about 10 blooms on it now.

I also added 3 small gardenia to a small pot in an attempt to make a mini hedge planter. Just for fun. In 2-3 years....I might have it!

Thanks for the nice words and stopping by!

• tomatofreak
    12 years ago

Oh, goodness... I see one in my future now. ;o) Thanks so much for the info. I think...

• grant_in_arizona
    12 years ago

Great information, thanks for sharing it. Yours really are nice. The few nice ones that I've seen growing long-term in the Valley have been in containers. You're definitely giving me a craving, LOL. Thanks again for the tips and tricks. Happy gadening!

• solohans1
    12 years ago

I finally succeeded in in cultivating gardenia's in AZ. But, the heat is raising havoc on the plant now. Thanks for tips here.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenia in az

• tomatofreak
    12 years ago

Does it have any shade? The one I had most luck with was under shade cloth. However, it eventually gave up the ghost when the heat became unbearable. Still, after seeing someone else's success, I'm motivated to try again.

• solohans1
    12 years ago

tomato freak:

It does get some shade and is never exposed to direct sun, but I think it's the heat, not the sun that's tough on the plant. I lost an ornamental variety which was not nearly hearty enough for our heat. This one's been through a transplant and summer already and is well established, but I still have concerns when I see the tender green growth become crispy and brown. I may consider a green shade tarp just the same. Definitely give it try, but be patient with these buggers.

• WHTZOMB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These 3 are about 6 months old. Semi root pruned and added to the pot. I wanted to do a ficus mini hedge, but I figure these are evergreen and might put out blooms as an added bonus if all goes well. I still have some frame work to set up to train it.

Everyone thinks it is a fake plant!

{{gwi:402079}}

• scausey
    11 years ago

I have numerous gardenias blooming in the south-facing front yard of the rental house that I am moving from. They seem to do quite well on irrigation (controlled by someone else).

• Haname
    11 years ago

That is wonderful, I can't wait to try one.

Here is a link that might be useful: I made a blog :)

• tomatofreak
    11 years ago

You have a Kaffir lime tree? I had no idea they would grow here. I wonder if it can be found locally.

But back to gardenias. I can't imagine anything more heavenly than a hedge of blooming gardenias. I wish you luck; I'll stick with just one in a pot. ;o)

• WHTZOMB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is my Key Lime tree. No Kaffir lime here!
    {{gwi:402081}}
    Its a work in progress.

I Love my potted gardenias, just one of these days I will attempt the hedge just because I think I can get it right.

• Haname
    11 years ago

I've never done an espalier but your lime tree looks like fun. Please keep us posted as it grows!

Tomatofreak, I do have a kaffir lime, just made a new post for you on that so as not to hijack this thread.

• klynn24
    11 years ago

A friend of mine has three gardenias all of which lose their buds once they start showing a little of the white. One is in full sun, one in morning sun, and one afternoon sun. Could this be contributed to underwatering, overwatering, alkaline soil? Any input would be appreciated. We live in Glendale and Peoria respectively.

• Matt Mahoney
    7 years ago

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I can comment on the last postings cause I after years have had one thing that works with my gardenia - I keep it potted and water everyday. The pot sits in a clear 4" high saucer which fills up after watering. I suspect the successful blooms I had this year are a result of the increased humidity provided by the water in the saucer. And it seems a common element of this thread is to keep the plants potted.

• iandyaz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a gardenia in the ground in my back yard and it's about 3 years old. I almost never water it because it's in a spot that takes weeks to dry out fully. It gets a lot of reflected sun but almost no direct sun until the middle of summer. It blooms on it now but the plant is a little leggy since it doesn't get a lot of sun. I made 4 clones of it this year so I'll be trying them in different spots.

• Matt Mahoney
    7 years ago

"Weeks to dry out"? For many of us in the Phoenix area, that would be highly unusual.

• iandyaz
    7 years ago

It might be a slight exaggeration but it has lots of mulch around the area and it's in full shade except for 1 part of the summer. When I say fully dry out I mean even below the surface. The first year I watered it about once a week during the summer and it was fine with that (if I remember correctly, it did rain a lot that year). My container gardenias get water every day through the summer.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County