Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long does freesia and ranunculus bulb take to sprout?

Posted by gary_az 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 20:12

Hi,

I'm in gilbert, AZ.

I had planted ranunculus and freesia bulbs a couple of weeks back but haven't seen anything sprout so far.

When can I expect the bulbs to sprout? Do these bulbs act as annuals or do they flower every year? Do I need to take them out in fall?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long does freesia and ranunculus bulb take to sprout?

I don't know about ranunculus, but freesia naturalize well here. Yours are not likely to bloom this year, being bought and planted late like they were. When you get bulbs late and plant them late, you're really only planting them so they will live for next year- they'll grow foliage in order to rejuvenate their store of energy in the bulbs and if you're lucky you'll get flowers, but mine have already flowered and are setting seed. You should expect to see some leaves popping out of the dirt soon if you're keeping them watered well.

Bulbs are as a rule seasonal. The freesias will die back down after they've stored their energy and pop back up again next year. They flower every year, do leave them in the ground, they may however require the occasional dividing. The do self sow if the seed pods are allowed to develop, seems to me like seedligns would flower in their second year, but would be full size in their third year.

o

• Posted by ww1969 9 (for now, Sunset 2 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 8:41

Ranunculus tend to not return/naturalize. You may get a few leaves popping up and possibly a flower, but don't expect them to give a show like the year before. When planting Ranunculus, be sure to position them toes pointing down (plant grows from the flat spot on top); if in doubt as to which side is up, plant sideways. It is also an excellent idea to soak Ranunculus tubers for a few hours in water before planting.

o

I leave in California.
Ranunculus bulbs should be planted in well drainable soils, otherwise they would rot easily. They do come back every year and stronger with better flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here