Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container growing

Posted by hbf_46 Arizona (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 21:54

Hi I am from phoenix Arizona, and it is starting to get quite hot already. I am very new to container gardening. I would like to grow potatoes in 5 gal. buckets. any special rules to doing so? besides water. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container growing

Sweet potatoes? Not gonna work in a five gallon bucket. A much larger container - like a half barrel is OK. The vines grow like crazy so don't expect 'em to stay in any container.

If you're talking about 'Irish' potatoes, it's waaaaaay past the time to plant.

o

True true true. HOWEVER, this is an opportunity to figure things out. Take one bucket, fill it about 2/3 full of ordinary dirt, and then take one russet potato that's gone to sprout and perhaps is starting to dehydrate on you, and bury it just below the surface. Water and put in the coolest spot you can find.

Do this again in another bucket in another month.

Expect these plants to not do well, but eventually you'll hit on your timing with an investment of three buckets, no purchases of bagged "soil" from the store, and no loss of edible potatoes to use as seed. I thing your luck will start to improve when the weather breaks around mid September, but also think that everything you plant before that time will die a horrible screaming fiery death. Gardening is fun and interesting, no?

One potato a month...

o

PS: Potatoes in Summer and in pots (not buried in the cooler ground) is a double whammy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here