Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Senecio Anteuphorbium / Swizzle Sticks

Posted by Houndmom Phoenix Az (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 22:23

Hi Everyone - Finally took a trip to Bakers today, wow what fun! Anyway, we ran across this succulent and wanted to see if anyone had any experience growing this here in Phoenix. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Senecio Anteuphorbium / Swizzle Sticks

I bought a nice 1 gal at the DBG fall sale. Its growing, in the plastic pot, pretty well on my patio under shade sails. Im waiting to see what it likes before planting it, if ever. In the fall and winter i had it more in the sun, though never full. Just moved it today out of morning sun and back more in the shade as the leaves were getting a bit yellow. I was watering when dry, by my meter, at first, but seems to want and grow better with a bit more water, especially now.
This was from a CA grower, so i suspect will take some adjustment time. At the sale they had a really big one in a 15 gal pot that was spectacular. Ive also seen one in the ground in Laguna Beach that was 3' in diameter and 3 to 4' tall. Thats a pretty moist environment.
I like it a lot. Will have to see how it does this summer. Two issues: it cant take cold well from what ive read. Also, when we had that infestation of the little caterpillars that decmated bouganvillas in the fall, I found one munching this plant quite happily. Im thinking i may keep it as a container plant.
I wouldn't hesitate to try one in a container. Also, i think that Boyce Thompson has one from a picture i saw on line.

o

Neat! I hope you both send lots of updates on how they do for you long-term. Happy gardening!

o

The DBG has several large specimens in containers in mostly shade. I was told by one of their instructors that these are summer dormant and should not be watered once the night temps and humidity rise.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has gotten one through the summer before.

o

Good information, dstefan, thanks for posting it. How is your plant looking so far this summer? Keep us posted, all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Arizona Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here